Re: IPChains and IPtables

From: David Efflandt (efflandt_at_xnet.com)
Date: 06/03/05

Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 18:07:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 16:54:29 +0200, justme <gonzyyyy@hotmail.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
> I am new to IPChains and IPtables
>

> I have installed Debian woody but did upgrates and DIST upgrades
>
> I don't know if it can change the IPCHAINS to something else?
>
> But I still have the Kernel 2.2.20-idepci
>

> I am totaly new to Firewalls and I am learnig with the IPCHAINS HOWTO
>

> and when I try this (just for learning)
>
> ipchains -A input -s 127.0.0.1 -p icmp -j DENY
>
> I get this answer:
>
> ipchains: Protocol not available

Newer kernels support iptables, instead of older ipchains (which was less
capable). Some still also support ipchains, but not simultaniously. If
any iptables modules are loaded, ipchains will not work. So even if your
kernel has iptables support (which it might not), you might at least need
to unload any iptables related modules before using ipchains.

/sbin/lsmod can tell you which modules are loaded.

Your system likely has iptables support, so it would be better to
learn that (very similar, but there are changes and additions).