Re: Firewall question

From: Bit Twister (BitTwister_at_mouse-potato.com)
Date: 06/16/05

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:48:42 -0500

On 15 Jun 2005 17:28:51 -0700, froogle wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm not new to linux but I'm needed to administer a small group of
> computers snce recently and need to add a firewall to the network. It's
> a windows lan.

Hmmm, Lan firewall will help protect lan from internet. I think you
are still needing to put a firewall on each windose box to protect it
from the other windows boxes.

> I have been reading iptables howto and tutorials since
> many days but it's not very clear to me how to make my own firewall.
> What to add for a windows lan etc.
>
> Can someone point me to some guide/website that would help me learn
> iptables quickly and easily? Maybe I need to read more howtos for
> detailed security later but for now I need urgent help or I won't be
> spared.

I would suggest installing Shorewall to create/monitor your firewall settings.
Shorewall lets you have lots of options and stats.
http://www.shorewall.net/Documentation_Index.html

You can also install webmin and manage shorewall from a browser on the
lan. https:firewall_ip_name_here:10000
webmin will also let you manage iptables if you really want to go that
direction.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Mandrake 10, gateway/firewall setup HOWTO?
    ... Go into the Mandrake Control Center under security, firewall ... I would load webmin to allow you to play with the shorewall firewall files. ... I assume you have loaded your /etc/hosts file with LAN definitions. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: How save is a Windows PC on a Linux network.
    ... firewall between the dialup and the internal lan. ... Being of sound mind and body, I never surf with the Windows machine and ... Assuming you trust your firewall, and you know what's running on the ... I have to have it on the lan to access the Linux servers but sometimes it ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: OWA
    ... 'Thats good news at least about the firewall. ... Tried them both earlier and same error message - 403. ... get ths same error message in and outside of the LAN? ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: How to stealth against ping/echo requests?
    ... I just started using the Online-Armor firewall. ... Some ports are even open. ... Are you behind a router? ... Every time it founds a new LAN, it asks if you want to trust it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [SLE] Firewall zones
    ... Looking at the firewall configuration in Yast, ... My network card is assigned its IP address by the router using DHCP. ... It connects to the LAN and to the router; the router in turn talks to the ... All the systems on the LAN are supposed to have the same firewall protection, ...
    (SuSE)