Re: trying to use pine with postfix

From: Bit Twister (BitTwister_at_mouse-potato.com)
Date: 06/18/05

Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:28:07 -0500

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:07:00 +0200, Sven-Thorsten Fahrbach wrote:
> Okay, I'm nearly dispairing over the pine setup to use with my
> postfix configuration. No matter what I do I get an error
> message from the smtp server (mail.gmx.net) that the user does
> not exist. Let me brief you on the details of my configuration:

Guessing your relay host wants the name to be a vaild isp email address.

> e-mail address: fahrbach.private@gmx.net
> gmx demands that the login name be the full e-mail address, i.e.
> login name: fahrbach.private@gmx.net
> login name on my system: svetho

My solution used canonical files to munge the headers.

Warning: it works and what you see was from me kludging around trying
to make it work. I keep telling myself I will go back to the docs and
straighten them out. :(
http://www.postfix.org/basic.html

I have a lan behind a linux firewall box,
postfix running on all nodes. Firewall box munges headers for anything
heading to the internet.

/etc/postfix/main.cf snippet

# my appended changes to main.cf for my WAN node

myorigin = comcast.net
mydomain = home.invalid
mynetworks = 192.168.2.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
relayhost = smtp.comcast.net
relay_domains = $mydomain
inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost
smtp_host_lookup = dns, native

#local box users

# swap linux users into my ISP eamil users
# swap out From: values
sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical_sender

# swap out To: values example root
recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical_recipient

canonical_sender snippet

bittwister@wb1.home.invalid real_email_addy@comcast.net

canonical_recipient snippet

root bittwister@fw.home.invalid
root@comcast.net bittwister@fw.home.invalid

virtual snippet

bittwsiter bittwister@fw.home.invalid
root bittwister@fw.home.invalid

aliases change

# Person who should get root's mail. This alias
# must exist.
# CHANGE THIS LINE to an account of a HUMAN
root: bittwister@fw.home.invalid

Database files were generated with
postalias aliases
postmap canonical_sender