Re: network broken after kernel upgrade

From: Tauno Voipio (tauno.voipio_at_iki.fi.NOSPAM.invalid)
Date: 06/21/05

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:04:29 GMT

Eggert Ehmke wrote:
> I screwed up my rootserver. It was running fine with Debian Sarge, kernel
> 2.4.26. I wanted the 2.6 kernel, so I installed kernel-image-2.6.8-2-868
> and module-init-tools. I put the new boot option as default in lilo.conf
> and also added the initrd line. Run lilo, all looked fine. After reboot, I
> had no access to the server anymore.
>
> No problem, I thought, booted the remote recue system, mounted the
> partitions and proc, chrooted into the system and put the old kernel as
> default again. Reran lilo, unmounted partitions and rebooted again. This is
> where the pain began: still no network access! When I look into kern.log,
> it seems that the network driver is loaded ok, but eth0 never gets an ip
> address. /etc/network/interfaces is ok too and was not changed in the
> process.
>
> I can still reboot into the rescue system. Any ideas?

If the network interface is supposed to get the setup
by DHCP, have a look at /var/log/daemon.log.

What do following commands report:

   ifconfig -a
   route -n

Do you have a firewall (ipchains / iptables)? Can
it be blocking the network traffic?

Is DNS set up properly? See /etc/resolv.conf.

HTH

--
Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Relevant Pages

  • eth0 down (using Sarge)
    ... I am running Sarge and kernel 2.4.24-1-k7. ... order to get access to my network (but this verifies that the problem is ... the following packages, ... I then tried to reboot using the 2.4.24-1-k7 kernel, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: network broken after kernel upgrade
    ... It was running fine with Debian Sarge, kernel ... Reran lilo, ... >> I can still reboot into the rescue system. ... I suspect something went wrong when I upgraded from woody to sarge. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: No video after kernel compilation
    ... > reboot. ... > So after doing the compilation and rebooting, ... Lilo does the ... your Kernel is compiled without the necessary drivers. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: building the kernel
    ... You aren't going to get a working kernel with that. ... Then install the kernel either manually or with "make install". ... run "lilo -v" and check for errors. ... reboot if no errors in lilo ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Reboot after kernel update?
    ... >> Is it essential to reboot after a kernel upgrade using YOU? ... > and mistakenly ran lilo and blasted your grub boot. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)