Re: Transfer rate on LAN?

G_r_a_n_t__at_dodo.com.au
Date: 07/24/05

Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:26:35 +1000

On 23 Jul 2005 18:42:10 CST, John Heim <bogus@bogus.com> wrote:

> My setup: I have a linux box with 2 ethernet cards serving as DHCP and
> caching DNS server. Eth0 is a 10 mb card connected to my DSL modem. The
> other card is 100 mb card that is connected to a hub.
Sounds okay to me.
> Will linux talk
> different speeds to the different cards?
Yes it will, unless you're benchmarking via the modem :)

> Maybe the whole network is slow
> because of that one card?
No, but what sort of transfer test are you using?

# mount /home/public/
# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/public/zeroes bs=1M count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out

real 0m11.953s
user 0m0.001s
sys 0m0.329s
#
That's over 8MB/s from a AMD K7 2600+ --> pII/400 box with quality
NICs (onboard via-rhine to Intel pro/100 - e100) via NFS transport.

Following sequence shows 2 Linux boxen talking to/from winxp with SMB

root@sempro:~# mount /mnt/linux/
root@sempro:~# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/linux/zeroe3 bs=1M count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out

real 0m15.401s <<== 6.5MB/S
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.538s
root@sempro:~# time dd of=/dev/null if=/mnt/linux/zeroe2 bs=1M count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out

real 0m15.433s
user 0m0.001s
sys 0m0.534s

peetoo:~$ mount /mnt/linux/
peetoo:~$ time dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/linux/zeroe2 bs=1M count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out

real 0m18.163s <<== 5.5MB/s
user 0m0.004s
sys 0m2.585s
peetoo:~$ time dd of=/dev/null if=/mnt/linux/zeroe3 bs=1M count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out

real 0m18.018s
user 0m0.005s
sys 0m1.152s
peetoo:~$

> I figured that the DSL modem is way slower than
> the NIC anyway so it wouldn't matter.

You are right, it does not matter. Check NICs you are using, even a
p233/mmx firewall box from/to peetoo box does 3.5MB/s / 3.9MB/s over
NFS with pro/100 <-> pro/100, like yours, the firewall has an old
10Mbps NIC going to the modem.

Grant.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Ethernet Woes Help Needed
    ... > I installed RH9 with no problem. ... > initialize the ethernet card. ... You can buy a Linux ... NICs are one of the very few items that advertise ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • [SLE] NIC recommendation for SuSE 9.2
    ... I have a SuSE 9.2 system which I always run at init 5 which has a Realtek 8139D NIC in it. ... I have contacted te manufacturers and there currently is not a Linux module/driver available for it. ... I have looked on the hw db and have not been able to get a clear answer on what card is supported. ... and I do not have spurious cash to throw at non working NICS, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Wireless quirk in 10.2 w/ Linksys WMP54GS
    ... network card. ... shutting down Windows before booting into Linux. ... messing around with drivers and bios settings, ... Apparently some windows drivers leave the NICs with settings in their NVRAM ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: pcnet32 hpna problem
    ... > I am new to linux and am having problems with a diamond homefree nic ... If set to obtain its ip via dhcp from the router, eth0 will not come ... Guess what, had only problems with this card in numerous boxes, ... Cheap but usually good enough for some desktop, NICs ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • SD card- slow write speed despite of async mode
    ... SD card writer achieves low write speed, ... I had decided to turn on async mode while mounting by HAL. ... sys 0m25.382s ... Dominik ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)