Samba 3.0.x vs Wind2K3 = "no network found"

From: Lawrence DčOliveiro (ldo_at_geek-central.gen.new_zealand)
Date: 07/25/05

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:49:49 +1200

I recently upgraded the main departmental server of a client of mine to
SuSE Linux 9.3, which came with Samba version 3.0.12-5. Previously it
would have been running some 2.x version of Samba. After this, users on
machines running Windows 2003 Server could no longer mount their shares
on the Linux box.

The message displayed on the Windows was "The drive could not be mapped
because no network was found". On the Samba side, the log file messages
were like

   [2005/07/22 17:24:31, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1150)
   getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected

XP users were still fine. (Don't ask me why users had to use Wind2003 as
a client--something to do with terminal server access.)

I tried the SuSE update to Samba 3.0.13-1.1, and also pulled down the
latest official 3.0.14a release from samba.org and built and installed
that, but nothing helped. Finally I downloaded 2.2.9, being the last
release of 2.x, and after installing that, all was right again.

Has anyone else encountered something similar?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Does samba 3.0.14Aa on OS 5.0.6 work with ldapsam backend on another LDAP server?
    ... used 3.0.9 on SCO 5.0.6 for quite some time after suffering problems I ... a RedHat4 box running samba 3.0.10 and OpenLDAP 2.2.13. ... and no LDAP server (although there were the ... share on the SCO server without any smbpasswd on that server! ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • [HPADM] RE: Mapping Samba Share to XP
    ... "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error occurred: The remote computer is not available." ... Is there anything I need to change in the configuration on the CIFS server? ... I am unable to map to the Windows XP clients on the 158 subnet still, but this is due to the firewall, so if someone knows how I can make that happen, please let me know? ... Mapping Samba Share to XP ...
    (HP-UX-Admin)
  • Re: login fails from from Solaris to windows7
    ... I can see all three Windows boxes from Solaris, but I can not login to ... Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too ... server string = Samba Server ... # per user logon script ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Samba frustrations
    ... As a matter of fact, when I attach another kubuntu machine to the network, smbclient doesn't see the server either. ... # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server ... # Another common choice is storing the profile in the user's home directory ... # It specifies the script to run during logon. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • samba 3.0 does not list servers when "map to guest = bad user" ?
    ... I've been trying to configure a samba 3.0 server to play nicely both ... with smbclient and with MS windows. ... At present, if I try to view the list of shares from within windows, I ...
    (Debian-User)