Samba 3.0.x vs Wind2K3 = "no network found"

From: Lawrence DčOliveiro (ldo_at_geek-central.gen.new_zealand)
Date: 07/25/05

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:49:49 +1200

I recently upgraded the main departmental server of a client of mine to
SuSE Linux 9.3, which came with Samba version 3.0.12-5. Previously it
would have been running some 2.x version of Samba. After this, users on
machines running Windows 2003 Server could no longer mount their shares
on the Linux box.

The message displayed on the Windows was "The drive could not be mapped
because no network was found". On the Samba side, the log file messages
were like

   [2005/07/22 17:24:31, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1150)
   getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected

XP users were still fine. (Don't ask me why users had to use Wind2003 as
a client--something to do with terminal server access.)

I tried the SuSE update to Samba 3.0.13-1.1, and also pulled down the
latest official 3.0.14a release from samba.org and built and installed
that, but nothing helped. Finally I downloaded 2.2.9, being the last
release of 2.x, and after installing that, all was right again.

Has anyone else encountered something similar?