Re: windows software required

From: Snowbat (snowbat_at_geocities.com)
Date: 10/05/05

Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 02:13:37 -0300

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:27:49 -0700, hawat.thufir wrote:

> What's unclear to me is: What happens when Caladan runs the Asus
> utility and detects the wireless adapter?

I think you mean the the Access Point? Your boxes are connected through a
switch to this AP using ethernet, right?

> More specifically, what changed which suddenly gave Caladan internet
> access?

I'd guess it sets up a default route. From your description (Linux on a
dual-boot box has access only after configuring from the Windows
installation on that box), I'd guess there is also some kind of MAC
registration going on in the AP. I see there is an option in the AP setup
page for 'MAC address clone' - is that feature enabled? You could try
disabling that and see if everything works.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MAC address spoofing - conflict?
    ... Ethernet switches split ethernet networks into different collision ... MAC spoofing should not be applicable to thoses environments as it ... Depending on switch behaviour, you may ... WiFi network, as it is a layer 1 share medium too. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Sending "magic packets" from OBSD router seems to fail
    ... > through the switch, not the OBSD box. ... > wakeonlan seems to hit the internal ethernet device (attached to the ... the ARP table does not have any entry for this IP. ... its own MAC address. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • Re: Is an ethernet switch totally transparent?
    ... It MUST have a MAC address. ... Ethernet depends on it. ... what does an unmanaged switch do with its own MAC ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: mac duplication
    ... You seem to need some clarification about how Ethernet actually works. ... IP address map to MAC addresses via router tables. ... network cards, switch ports, etc. ... by duplicating the MAC address. ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • RE: Exploit code for IP Smart Spoofing
    ... If there is a MAC violation, this is logged and the port is ... traffic of one other host on the switch. ... but there is no way to protect against ...
    (Bugtraq)