Re: need help to setup wireless router behind another firewall

From: Tauno Voipio (tauno.voipio_at_INVALIDiki.fi)
Date: 11/06/05

Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 09:37:26 GMT

Ed Franks wrote:
> I bought a wireless router [ D-Link DI-624 ] and I want to configure it
> BEHIND my gateway firewall. Like so...
>
> { use a fixed font to display the following }
>
> +----+ +----------+ +----+ / ))))
> ....+ CM +----+ firewall +------\ /-----+ 624|
> | | | | | | | |
> +----+ +----------+ +-.-.-.-.-+ +----+
> cable | switch |
> modem +-.-.-.-.-+ (((
> | | | | `-+ laptops|
> ...---------------[ L A N ]-----... | |
> +--------+
>

> Now, the D-Link instructions are solely geared to setup in a Windoze box.
> Plus, the instructions only talk about putting the DI-624 between your
> Cable/DSL router and the rest of your LAN, so that the DI-624 becomes your
> defacto gateway router/Firewall/NAT device. I don't want that.. I want the
> firewall box to be the gateway packet filter. I just want the DI-624
> to hang off my 8-port switch on the LAN and control only the wireless
> traffic segment, and let the F/W box control the gateway.
>
> So, trying to learn what comes out of the router so I could configure it
> to play nice, I connected the DI-624 to the switch and ran tcpdump from
> another PC box to sniff the traffic that the DI-624 sends out:
>
> 1) When I connected the WLAN port coming out of the DI-624 to the switch,
> I can see the router broadcasting from
> 0.0.0.0:bootpc to 255.255.255.255:bootps
> Does this mean that I will have to have the firewall run a DHCP server to
> give the DI-624 an IP address?
>
> 2) When I connect a LAN port coming out of the DI-624 to the switch, I
> see the router multicasting from
> 192.168.0.1:1900 to 239.255.255.250:1900 UDP
> What is UDP 1900 used for?
>
> Currently, all boxes on the LAN segment use static addresses.
>
> Has anyone done any similiar sorts of configuration? Thanks for any tips,

Look if there is a way to put the router to bridge mode,
so it will be an extension to the LAN. I'm running a
D-link AP-900+ in this way.

The BOOTP messages are probably from the DHCP server in the
gateway box. Just disable it.

Please do not forget to enable some kind of wireless
encryption if you're not intending to share your LAN
with the whole suburb. Although much lamented, WEP
does already much toward the goal.

HTH

--
Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Workgroup Client Bridge Configuration
    ... capability for the LAN interface, in any case it only allows one IP to be specified. ... original SOHO-10 routers in service and on my router pile. ... but the gateway is 216.216.216.1, some operating systems just will not ... I mean't the one computah that's going through the Seneo wireless. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Workgroup Client Bridge Configuration
    ... original SOHO-10 routers in service and on my router pile. ... do more than about 1Mbit/sec WAN to LAN. ... but the gateway is 216.216.216.1, some operating systems just will not ... The machine at the end of the wireless bridge should be configured the ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: [SLE] Firewall zones
    ... Looking at the firewall configuration in Yast, ... My network card is assigned its IP address by the router using DHCP. ... It connects to the LAN and to the router; the router in turn talks to the ... All the systems on the LAN are supposed to have the same firewall protection, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How to stealth against ping/echo requests?
    ... I just started using the Online-Armor firewall. ... Some ports are even open. ... Are you behind a router? ... Every time it founds a new LAN, it asks if you want to trust it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Using XP PC as Gateway, add Wireless router, cant share acros
    ... If you're talking about Windows ICS, although the range of IP addresses assigned by ICS can't be configured, ICS is smart enough to query the LAN first and not to assign an IP address that's already in use. ... The changes you suggested worked and I now have my wireless router set up as a gateway/access point with the LAN port plugged into my switch. ... There was another thing I noticed that seemed different with the gateway PC than when I used my router as the DHCP server. ... I wasn't able to figure out how to set the range of IP addresses the gateway computer doles out in order to prevent it from using the one I assigned to my router. ...