Re: SSH struggle

Dominique Gibon <dominique.gibon0@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Running SSH on a Debian Sarge (kernel 2.6.8-2-386).
> Port 22 is listening, firewall is open for port 22 on my LAN.

> When I SSH from a Windows machine on the LAN using SecureCRT with SSH2, the
> RSA key is read/loaded by the client, but I get the flw error message:
> SecureCRT has disconnected from the server. Reason: Unable to authenticate
> using any of the configured authentication methods.

What happens when you telnet from this Windows client to the server on
port 22? For example, "telnet debianserver 22".

> In /var/log/auth.log there is no trace of any SSH login attempt.

It sounds like you're not talking to the correct machine, or the
firewall isn't properly open.

> By comparison my "straight" FTP connection from the same client machine are
> all successfull, and properly logged.

OK, so maybe you have the correct machine.

Let us know the result of the "telnet" test suggested above.
Chris

  • Re: How save is a Windows PC on a Linux network.
    ... firewall between the dialup and the internal lan. ... Being of sound mind and body, I never surf with the Windows machine and ... Assuming you trust your firewall, and you know what's running on the ... I have to have it on the lan to access the Linux servers but sometimes it ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: OWA
    ... 'Thats good news at least about the firewall. ... Tried them both earlier and same error message - 403. ... get ths same error message in and outside of the LAN? ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: How to stealth against ping/echo requests?
    ... I just started using the Online-Armor firewall. ... Some ports are even open. ... Are you behind a router? ... Every time it founds a new LAN, it asks if you want to trust it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [SLE] Firewall zones
    ... Looking at the firewall configuration in Yast, ... My network card is assigned its IP address by the router using DHCP. ... It connects to the LAN and to the router; the router in turn talks to the ... All the systems on the LAN are supposed to have the same firewall protection, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Wohin mit dem OpenVPN Server?
    ... Ich geb dem Server eine öffentliche IP und setze ihn in die DMZ, ... Adresse über die Firewall von der DMZ aus ins LAN verbinden... ... Ein kompromittierter VPN-Server ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)