Re: Linux Console Hangs

Hi,

I tried the rootshell by adding "init=/bin/sh" and I got
init-2.05b# prompt.
Then I tried /sbin/mingetty tty3 (as it was in my /etc/inittab) but
nothing happens. 2 seconds latter I had the same prompt.
I have nothing in my log files.
I noticed than I cannot modify a file in /etc - it was read-only even
when I modified ro to rw in the kernel boot line.

Something new: even if I try a login with a foo password, the console
hangs.

I still have access trough Webmin and it uses /etc/shadow for
authentication, according to /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf file (I suppose
this is the Webmin config file)

Any other ideas? Can be a corrupted version of /bin/bash or /bin/sh? Or
some kind of hack? The server is not exposed to Internet and the last
thing is unlikely. Unfortunately, I cannot reboot the servers more than
2-3 times a day during lunch time, so I need more options to try next
time. Thanks

Svet

  • RE: Proxy Authentication
    ... Both the old and new server have only one NIC and we only ... >> trouble getting authentication to work like in Proxy 2.0. ... >> allowed to browse through the proxy server. ... I would also like this prompt to be able to handle an expired ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.clients)
  • Re: modifying objects in ADAM ADSIEDIT
    ... which is the NetBIOS name I referred to. ... ' Prompt for NetBIOS name of object in AD. ... ' Prompt for the attribute to modify. ... How do I script this by just modifying ...
  • Re: msf > use auxiliary/scanner/vnc/vnc_login
    ... I decided to test Metasploit against an open VNC ... After entering at the msf prompt: ... I never get my prompt back. ... If the vnc server rejects the ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: So Im still experiencing login prompts when accessing free/busy.
    ... I know it is a while since you put this post in but I wondered if you ever managed to get past the prompt when scheduling for external users. ... I then brought up a separate 2008 server, ... When I open Outlook 2007 for the first time after setting up the Exchange ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Prompts for username and password
    ... We have built a new webserver with Windows Server 2003/IIS 6.0. ... We have the default web site set for anonymous authentication. ... password protected area is going to prompt for credentials. ...