Re: Can't open WMV or JPG from Windows share, but MPG and AVI work fine

rex roland wrote:
I actually have 2 problems, maybe they are related. I just installed Debian, and samba was included. I messed around with everything and its mostly working. Here is the first problem. I have a computer named Neal. When I double click on it on the Debian box, i get a message sayign I dont have permission. If i type in smb://Neal/Shared then I get a login prompt at it works. I dont understand this, I guess its not picking up the right permissions from windows but im not sure.

Second problem: now that I have access to the directory, I can play AVI and MPG files right over the network. But if I try to open a JPG or a WMV i get a message sayign the file doesnt exist. There are also no thumbnails showing, just the icons. If i copy them over the thumbnail instantly loads and it opens fine.

I am confused on whether this is a problem with the Windows permissions or the Samba permissions or the Linux permissions. All the windows user accounts are local, there are no domains. Thanks for any info.

Nobody knows ?

  • Re: I need help with setting up my first samba server.
    ... I have a small home LAN on which there are three Debian i386 boxes, ... The Windows laptop and four of the Macs use an Apple Airport ... I think making one of my Debian boxes a Samba ... problem is I think with smb passwords. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup
    ... >> difference between your SAMBA server and any Windows box on your network ... I have Windows 2003 servers that I'm trying to ... Share permissions!= filesystem permissions. ... give the TESTSHARE group rights to the share, ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: USB printer connection
    ... When it comes to interfacing your open source, open standards OS, with a ... File and directory permissions are one thing. ... Windows box on a LAN just to get Windows file sharing working again. ... The underlying system that Samba lets us access is a complete mess, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: USB printer connection
    ... File and directory permissions are one thing. ... clients can get left in limbo for a quarter of an hour before another ... Windows box on a LAN just to get Windows file sharing working again. ... The underlying system that Samba lets us access is a complete mess, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [opensuse] How do I mount USB drive world writable using device notifier?
    ... and only r permissions for groups and others. ... I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking, mentioning samba cross ... But most of it is done using NFS mounts. ... even if they seem as odd to Windows people as ...
    (SuSE)