Re: Can't open WMV or JPG from Windows share, but MPG and AVI work fine

rex roland wrote:
I actually have 2 problems, maybe they are related. I just installed Debian, and samba was included. I messed around with everything and its mostly working. Here is the first problem. I have a computer named Neal. When I double click on it on the Debian box, i get a message sayign I dont have permission. If i type in smb://Neal/Shared then I get a login prompt at it works. I dont understand this, I guess its not picking up the right permissions from windows but im not sure.

Second problem: now that I have access to the directory, I can play AVI and MPG files right over the network. But if I try to open a JPG or a WMV i get a message sayign the file doesnt exist. There are also no thumbnails showing, just the icons. If i copy them over the thumbnail instantly loads and it opens fine.

I am confused on whether this is a problem with the Windows permissions or the Samba permissions or the Linux permissions. All the windows user accounts are local, there are no domains. Thanks for any info.

Nobody knows ?

  • Re: I need help with setting up my first samba server.
    ... I have a small home LAN on which there are three Debian i386 boxes, ... The Windows laptop and four of the Macs use an Apple Airport ... I think making one of my Debian boxes a Samba ... problem is I think with smb passwords. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup
    ... >> difference between your SAMBA server and any Windows box on your network ... I have Windows 2003 servers that I'm trying to ... Share permissions!= filesystem permissions. ... give the TESTSHARE group rights to the share, ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: USB printer connection
    ... When it comes to interfacing your open source, open standards OS, with a ... File and directory permissions are one thing. ... Windows box on a LAN just to get Windows file sharing working again. ... The underlying system that Samba lets us access is a complete mess, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: USB printer connection
    ... File and directory permissions are one thing. ... clients can get left in limbo for a quarter of an hour before another ... Windows box on a LAN just to get Windows file sharing working again. ... The underlying system that Samba lets us access is a complete mess, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: ubuntu xp vmware cluster f...er...filesharing
    ... used VMware shared folders and SAMBA in the past with no problems. ... problem as I need to store all of my project files on XP because that's ... VMware shared folders do not preserve user ID and permissions of the ... Unix and Windows NT/XP is dramatically different. ...
    (Ubuntu)