Re: cookbook to installing/configuring WPA

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:13:43 +0000, Wayne Dernoncourt wrote:

Douglas Mayne <doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 02:01:54 +0000, Wayne Dernoncourt wrote:

<snip>

I know I probably would have never figured this out if I was
trying to do it under RedHat/Fedora. I know this isn't what
you asked for, but it is a start.

It certainly is, not something that will be accomplished in
anything short of days.

I'm trying to get the system upstairs to talk to the Windows
system 5' away to communicate using CDDB (Linux side) and
Audiograbber (Windows XP side). I can ping the Linux box
successfully. This Linux box replaced another one that
died (that one was running Slackware 9.1 from 2 or 3 years
ago)? The old system did this job, I'm not sure what is
different, one thing that is different is that cddbd isn't
being started on boot, this may take a while.

If you're an "old slacker" from way back ;-), then why did you go to
Fedora. It could be there are some magic RPM's you can install to
take care of this for you. You can do what you want, but I find it easier
using the source on Slackware. I am running Slackware 10.2. The trouble
with Fedora is that when it breaks, it is difficult to know where to start
fixing the problem. If you've ever compiled the kernel, then this isn't
that far out there- just a couple of drivers on top of it.

These were the steps I followed to fit these pieces together.

1. Downloads (above).
2. libdnet compile and install
3. kernel compile (using config I referenced.)
4. kernel install, then reboot with it.
5. ieee80211 compile and install
6. driver compile and install (this would be prism for you)
7. wpa_supplicant compile and wpa_supplicant.conf setup.
8. wpa_cli to start secure wireless networking.

--
Douglas Mayne

  • Re: PROOF: Windows makes you stupid
    ... > No support for my RAID gear unless I work out how to compile the kernel, ... > or compile modules for it. ... > issue I had this morning on linux... ... but instead started in root mode all of it's own. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Distro for low-spec machine
    ... some version of Linux on it to use as a firewall box. ... To include compilers and the -devs needed to compile a custom ... The kernel alone if 400MB-ish once compiled. ... Coyote or DSL might install on it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [SLE] Mplayer, rpms for SuSE?
    ... to compile" then understand Linux will remain right where it is and we'll all ... are not "compile or not compile" issues. ... if you want to hand install ... That comes from the frustration of some of us ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Linux, The Great Time Waster!!
    ... > were not recognized by the install program. ... > that Linux with kernel 2.6 is supposed to support but I see no way to ... I do even more research and see on the kernel mailing ... > list that I must compile the kernel and turn on something called ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)