Re: cookbook to installing/configuring WPA

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:13:43 +0000, Wayne Dernoncourt wrote:

Douglas Mayne <doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 02:01:54 +0000, Wayne Dernoncourt wrote:

<snip>

I know I probably would have never figured this out if I was
trying to do it under RedHat/Fedora. I know this isn't what
you asked for, but it is a start.

It certainly is, not something that will be accomplished in
anything short of days.

I'm trying to get the system upstairs to talk to the Windows
system 5' away to communicate using CDDB (Linux side) and
Audiograbber (Windows XP side). I can ping the Linux box
successfully. This Linux box replaced another one that
died (that one was running Slackware 9.1 from 2 or 3 years
ago)? The old system did this job, I'm not sure what is
different, one thing that is different is that cddbd isn't
being started on boot, this may take a while.

If you're an "old slacker" from way back ;-), then why did you go to
Fedora. It could be there are some magic RPM's you can install to
take care of this for you. You can do what you want, but I find it easier
using the source on Slackware. I am running Slackware 10.2. The trouble
with Fedora is that when it breaks, it is difficult to know where to start
fixing the problem. If you've ever compiled the kernel, then this isn't
that far out there- just a couple of drivers on top of it.

These were the steps I followed to fit these pieces together.

1. Downloads (above).
2. libdnet compile and install
3. kernel compile (using config I referenced.)
4. kernel install, then reboot with it.
5. ieee80211 compile and install
6. driver compile and install (this would be prism for you)
7. wpa_supplicant compile and wpa_supplicant.conf setup.
8. wpa_cli to start secure wireless networking.

--
Douglas Mayne

.