WiFi documentation

Can anyone recommend a good book -
or even better, online documentation -
on the technical basis for WiFi?

I mean questions like: how exactly do
the transmissions from an Access Point
differ from those sent by a card in Ad-hoc mode?

I'm baffled by the way my laptop can see some Access Points
and not others.
Also, I don't understand why it works better in Managed Mode
even when connecting to a WiFi card in Ad-hoc mode.

I've asked on a couple of WiFi lists,
but haven't received any enlightenment -
just a couple of emails from people who have had the same experience.

I have to say that Windows XP WiFi services seem much better to me.
This isn't a question of drivers -
when two computers are connected I assume the information available
is the same under Linux or Windows,
but Windows seems to make a much better job of organizing this information.

I've tried using NetworkManager,
but in my case this seemed to make my connection more unreliable -
I mean I could connect some times,
but other times it failed although as far as I could see
nothing had been changed.

In any case, I'd very much like to find some documentation
that would enlighten me.

Perhaps I should add that all my WiFi devices
use Orinoco Gold PCMCIA cards,
some in USB or PCI adaptors,
and I am using the latest orinoco driver
(the USB device did not work with the driver in the kernel
the last time I tried).

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  • Re: How to write Wi-Fi driver for WINCE
    ... I have an ARM processor in my Windows CE 6-based device for which I ... Windows CE driver for this chip.So I have decided to ... Writing a WIFI driver isn't going to be a few hours work, ...
  • Re: Wifi key ?
    ... I phoned to many USB stick factory but they ... It requires someone who knows about NDIS and Windows CE drivers, ... stick that has source code for an existing Win32 NDIS driver available, ... forget USB and look for another method of connecting the WiFi ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vc)
  • Re: Wifi key ?
    ... It requires someone who knows about NDIS and Windows CE drivers, ... source for the Linux driver couldn't hurt. ... USB stick that you like and hiring someone to write a driver for it. ... forget USB and look for another method of connecting the WiFi ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vc)
  • Re: wireless speed in network manager
    ... Ubuntu 8.04 inside of Windows? ... I checked out my D600 it uses the same WiFi adapter and sure enough it only ... software to emulate the Windows Driver from the firmware since the Broadcom ... commonents are from someone that has no clue what effects radio waves. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ncomputing and Ubuntu 9.10
    ... I did a brief search and found some Ubuntu Forum threads relating to ... The brand new windows could not reach the wired Internet. ... Ubuntu found it right away and had the driver needed. ... Then installed the D-Link WiFi hardware. ...
    (Ubuntu)