Re: Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

Are you sure all those hosts are directly connected to the network
attached to eth0 and hence do not need a gateway? (Maybe something is
proxy ARPing for them??) Did you try pinging or otherwise contacting
all of them? If you can contact them directly without a gateway, this
doesn't match the original netmask you gave us.

I think each system is connected to a local switch with several other
local devices, and then this switch is connected back to a central
large switch/router that implements the access control lists, vlans,
etc. I'm not too clear of the exact topolgy truthfully. But, I can
connect to all of the rooms, which did actually surprise me, so
something out there is making it work. Just in case, I changed the
route command to specify the gw for these routes:

/sbin/route -v add -host $ip gw eth0

Is there a way to tell eth0 to use the gateway for all
connections? I didn't see a way to really do that with the route
command. Maybe I don't want to do that anyways, since it is working
now, why push it...

You seem to have snipped out the entry for the network attached to eth0
( doesn't count).

Here is what I snipped out: U 0 0 0

Relevant Pages

  • Re: networking
    ... > All of your traffic is being routed to your LAN not your dial-up adapter. ... > traffic) through your ppp adapter using the gateway assigned by your ISP. ... That will route all traffic to you LAN address space ... from opening page eth0 Ethernet ...
  • Re: routing behaviour with two nics on same subnet
    ... To default gateway, but via which device? ... If there are multiple best route with equivalent priority, I like to consider that the chosen one among then is unpredictable. ... dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src ... dev eth1 proto kernel scope link src ...
  • Re: howto isolate 2 nics?
    ... The default route is through eth1 with a gateway of ... eth0, is going out eth1. ... instead of providing a proper route to that network. ...
  • Re: Two network adapters on seperate networks problem
    ... So, I removed that entry, and I think my default gateway ... IP's of the machines on the isolated network I need access to. ... for those routes on eth0 was ... Here is a snippet of output of route -n. ...
  • Dual Nics in Different Subnets on Server 2008
    ... Eth0 will be in with default gateway of layer 3 switch ... I do this because Eth0 is in different switch altogether than Eth1. ...