Re: Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

Are you sure all those hosts are directly connected to the network
attached to eth0 and hence do not need a gateway? (Maybe something is
proxy ARPing for them??) Did you try pinging or otherwise contacting
all of them? If you can contact them directly without a gateway, this
doesn't match the original netmask you gave us.

I think each system is connected to a local switch with several other
local devices, and then this switch is connected back to a central
large switch/router that implements the access control lists, vlans,
etc. I'm not too clear of the exact topolgy truthfully. But, I can
connect to all of the rooms, which did actually surprise me, so
something out there is making it work. Just in case, I changed the
route command to specify the gw 10.9.81.193 for these routes:

/sbin/route -v add -host $ip gw 10.9.81.193 eth0

Is there a way to tell eth0 to use the gateway 10.9.81.193 for all
connections? I didn't see a way to really do that with the route
command. Maybe I don't want to do that anyways, since it is working
now, why push it...

You seem to have snipped out the entry for the network attached to eth0
(169.254.0.0 doesn't count).

Here is what I snipped out:
10.9.81.192 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.192 U 0 0 0
eth0

  • Re: networking
    ... > All of your traffic is being routed to your LAN not your dial-up adapter. ... > traffic) through your ppp adapter using the gateway assigned by your ISP. ... That will route all traffic to you LAN address space ... from opening page eth0 Ethernet ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: routing behaviour with two nics on same subnet
    ... To default gateway, but via which device? ... If there are multiple best route with equivalent priority, I like to consider that the chosen one among then is unpredictable. ... 10.10.88.0/22 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 10.10.88.67 ... 10.10.88.0/22 dev eth1 proto kernel scope link src 10.10.88.104 ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: howto isolate 2 nics?
    ... The default route is through eth1 with a gateway of 192.168.1.12. ... eth0, is going out eth1. ... instead of providing a proper route to that network. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Two network adapters on seperate networks problem
    ... So, I removed that entry, and I think my default gateway ... IP's of the machines on the isolated network I need access to. ... for those routes on eth0 was 10.9.81.193? ... Here is a snippet of output of route -n. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Dual Nics in Different Subnets on Server 2008
    ... Eth0 will be in 10.210.36.0/16 with default gateway of layer 3 switch ... I do this because Eth0 is in different switch altogether than Eth1. ...