"Some" Apps not resolving names

Ok, I've been using linux for a while (first kernel was 1.1). I've got a
network that has been up and running for a 'few' years. I haven't screwed
with anything "lately".
My machine has 1 disk with linux, and one with windoze 2000 server(I have to
use autocad and a couple of others,for my work). Neither disk really "knows"
about the other, I switch through the BIOS setup.
Here is the problem.
Today, I booted the linux disk to xfer some files via ftp to another linux
box on the (local) network. inetd worked just fine, and the files got
transfered. Then I went to download some files, check some stuff etc. (with
linux) and nothing in X windows would resolve hostnames. I bailed out to a
tty term, ran ping, that worked fine, which tells me gethostbyname() works.
I did some lookups with nslookup (I know, old!) dig, and host, everything
worked fine. I can ping the world, lookup hosts by name, blah, blah.... I
did the same drill in an Xterm, everything works fine. I crank up Mozilla,
can't load anything. Try to send mail, nothing. I tried putting in the IP
addresses of "known" servers, and mozilla goes into a loop, "Loading, done,
page loaded...

I tried using Pine to send some mail... same results, no host resolution...

Both OS's use DHCP and are assigned an IP by my (linux) DHCP server based on
the hardware address, so nothing changes on that end between windoze and
linux. The bad news is Windoze is working and linux ain't! This is a first
for me!

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

TIA
Bruce

  • Re: Is my system secure? What else should I do?
    ... > network functionality for my computing activities (browsing, ... My network shows No presence to the outside world, ... browsing and open for secure browsing. ... Linux is no longer protecting the other computers/devices on your local ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: LONWorks vs. Ethernet
    ... >Linux PC, which also sends signals back to open and close the relays. ... >and how much the chips, transceivers, and external components cost ... >it's far too sensitive to wiring imperfections, and the network ... The AVR is a far superior device to the Neuron chip as far performance ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Multiple IPs
    ... have a Draytek 2820 router which allows me to use these addresses ... In practice you can probably safely use the "network" address as a host ... Using your "network" address for a host depends on your networking stack ... I had a further experiment today, moving one of my Linux boxes to ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: OT: Computer stuff
    ... running five home computers and admin nine more at the local library). ... I know for a fact that there is an anti-virus program available for Linux. ... It says it does not support power management under SMP as the kernel loads. ... I have taught Network+, and A+. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Anyone Networking there ?
    ... Could anyone out there help me getting my network to run. ... I am new to Linux and NOT a troll!!! ... it runs in a dual boot with an old Windows and my Windows ... Now add your users to Samba. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)