Re: DNS basics

Okay. I guess I'm missing even the most basic of things. For instance,
when I go to the site I registered the domain on I have to give them a
name server. Is the name server going to be the system I have setup DNS
on?
left_coast wrote:
nick wrote:

Hello all,

I registered a domain name. Now I want that name to resolve to the IP
address I have on my server at home. So when people type in the name
they arrive at my server. I have no CLUE as to how to do this. I know
DNS basics, but not how to do something practical such as this.

Well, if you want to run your own DNS server:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

If you have a static IP address, then need to give your IP to the company
from which you bought your domain name.

If you have a dynamic IP address, then you may want to use something like
DynDNS:

http://www.dyndns.com/

--

Dan C. Gets caught apparently Plagiarizing:
Message ID: <3ab7l3-tnl.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

.