Re: DNS basics

Okay. I guess I'm missing even the most basic of things. For instance,
when I go to the site I registered the domain on I have to give them a
name server. Is the name server going to be the system I have setup DNS
on?
left_coast wrote:
nick wrote:

Hello all,

I registered a domain name. Now I want that name to resolve to the IP
address I have on my server at home. So when people type in the name
they arrive at my server. I have no CLUE as to how to do this. I know
DNS basics, but not how to do something practical such as this.

Well, if you want to run your own DNS server:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

If you have a static IP address, then need to give your IP to the company
from which you bought your domain name.

If you have a dynamic IP address, then you may want to use something like
DynDNS:

http://www.dyndns.com/

--

Dan C. Gets caught apparently Plagiarizing:
Message ID: <3ab7l3-tnl.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  • Re: Thumbnail security problem?
    ... have written or maybe you don't understand the HTTP 1.0 Basic Authentication ... will receive a 401 response from the web server. ... Ok, now that you see the basics, the problem we are seeing is as follows: ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Reinstall AD
    ... Unless I'm missing something it should come back with the name. ... dns, which is what sounds like what happened. ... > I have now formatted and rebuilt the old server but have not yet joined it ... > the old DNS name is actually the rebuilt Domian server. ...
  • Re: basic network setup
    ... You talk about Active directory which is installed easy with some clicks. ... where you have to know at least some basics. ... Also a domain should have at least 2 domain controllers with GC and DNS for redundancy and failover. ... See here about some basic documents especially "Windows Server 2008 Step-by-Step Guide for DNS in Small Networks.doc": ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
  • Re: replication/connectivity error?
    ... At least one CNAME record for an AD forest GUID was missing from a DNS ... The error was: "DNS server failure." ... - One or more of the following zones contains incorrect delegation: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Video camera suggestion?
    ... > 16 years the site has been up - and having to reestablish a new URL ... Shared hosting is often problematic. ... You then access the new server with the IP and change the DNS pointer ... It's much easier to maintain as you can keep the same basics ...
    (rec.video.desktop)