Re: Newbie Questions

Don't misunderstand...I'm not doing this myself. I've just always been
curious. The IT guys at work are hush hush about everything. I see a
router. I see switches. But no one explains. I assume that the router
connects to the switch. They have like five switches with 16 or so
ethernet ports. They also have a Cyberguard firewall, I think it is.

So the firewall just firewalls, and the router does NAT, etc. right?
Now onto the proxy server, is there a certain point in a company's size
when they REALLY need the proxy server?
Geoff wrote:
With 50/100 machines you're gonna need more than one.

And you forgot one basic element, one that you can't get away without:
YOU NEED A SYSADMIN, one that can make all that junk run, and keep your
'network' running.

yeah totaly
if you have this amount of machines, you NEED to employee someone who knows
what they are doing

  • Looking for 8-port switch / firewall / router
    ... - firewall ... (An absolute optional would also be an 802.11g WLAN router ... Unfortuately there does not seem to be such a piece of hardware on the ... I have found only 4-port switches which have additional ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • IDS on Switched Networks
    ... For instance, my firewall is ... connected into a router which contains all of my switches and acts as a ... Do I have to put the sensor in the critical path? ... router, or do I need a hub for the sensor and firewall to share? ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: Kein Ping möglich
    ... >und genau im Router ist eine Firewall. ... ein cross-over Kabel zusammenhänge habe ich keinen Ping. ... Netzwerk, also Switches anpinge, dann bekomme ich einen ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.networking)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... not visiting dodgy Websites. ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... how long it plays for because it's all been ripped on to hard disc ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)