Re: Help climbing the mountain of a linux mail server...

Constant Meiring wrote:

Ok, but if I send mail to jan@xxxxxxxx and the mail server is piet.net,
mail should go to piet.net regardless of an MX record?? As I understand
it, a MX record is only needed when your domain is blahblah.net and
your mail exchange is mail.foobar.com or something like that. An MX
record just points out the mail handler for a certain domain. Am I
right here?

Yes, provided there are no MX records defined anywhere.

I have registered a CName (eg. test.net.tf) that points to that telkom
address (dsl-xxx-xxx-xx.telkomadsl.co.za). Do I need to register a MX
record for test.net.tf aswell to point for that domain to
dsl-146-233-60.telkomadsl.co.za?

a CNAME should work as long as the dsl name is correct. Mailers should keep resolving CNAME records until they find an A record. I would point the CNAME to something from no-ip though, Telkom sometimes leaves the IP address intact for days or even weeks at a time, and then suddenly goes back to its 'one change per 24 hours' mode. Whenever it changes, your mail server might be unavailable for a while until the records expire from various DNS caches.

J.
.