Re: Routing Linux 192.168.10.x network to Dlink router on 192.168.1.x network

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply!

The reason I don't let DHCP do it's dirty deeds is that most of my
boxes are servers or other test clients whose addresses I need to stay

So, opening up my subnet mask is one solution, but in situations where
widening the subnetmask is not desired, shouldn't my router be able to
"route" from one subnet to the other?

I want my to be able to send packets through
(The D-link router) to get to and other 192.168.1.x

Can't I get the D-link to route this way without just opening my subnet

And does this mean I have to open the subnet mask on all clients and
servers? The reason I ask is that, again, I've read that the router
should be able to handle all of this without changing the clients as
long as they are all plugged into the same router, because the router
gets all the packets, but makes decisions about which to route based on
it's own configured routing table.

I thought I modified the routing table sufficiently with my
Enable : Yes
Destination IP
Netmask :
Gateway :
Interface :LAN
Metric : 1

entry...but apparently not.

Any direction on how to get the router to route without widening the
subnet mask is appreciated!

Robert Harris wrote:
q4n wrote:
8/5/2006, 1:23AM

Thanks for taking the time to shine some light!

I have a Linux Redhat 7.2 box on a 192.168.10.x network and I have
clients that need to connect also connected to the same Dlink router
which is at

All my boxes are physically plugged into the D-link router so they are
all on the same physical network.

I heard that if all machines are on the same router, then all one has
to do is add the odd man out network to the routing page, which I did:

Enable : Yes
Destination IP
Netmask :
Gateway :
Interface :LAN
Metric : 1
That would mean that packets for are to be sent to which probably isn't what you want.

If your 192.168.1.x and 192.168.10.x are on the same subnet, and there
aren't any othe 192.168.y.x on different subnets, then setting the
subnet mask to is what you need to to.

But why doesn't your Linux box have a 192.168.1.x address anyway? Why
don't you just let your router assign its IP address like everybody else's?

My router is on
Linux box is on
clients on

I don't want to be sloppy and change the subnet mask to