Re: MTA besides sendmail?

Nietzsche wrote:
Alex Buell wrote:

I have Cyrus-SASL working perfectly with sendmail for sending e-mail
via SMTP-AUTH enabled mail servers. I'm assuming you only want to
connect to a SMTP-AUTH enabled relay server.

It's a bit fiddly but here's the steps:

1. emerge cyrus-sasl (don't bother configuring database stuff)
2. USE="sasl" emerge sendmail
3. Modify /etc/sendmail.mc to include the following:
define(`SMART_HOST', `your isp relay')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
FEATURE(`authinfo', `hash /etc/mail/auth/client-info')dnl
4. Generate sendmail.cf by doing m4 sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
5. Create /etc/mail/auth subdirectory
6. Configure /etc/mail/auth/client-info with information necessary so
sendmail can authenticate itself with the remote relay sever.

Now start sendmail and test it by sending an e-mail through.

Thanks for the feedback. I did the same, it's summarized here:
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html#authinstsendmail

One thing not mentioned is I had to add

define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 465')
define(`ESMTP_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 465')

to the sendmial.mc to get sendmail to send on 465.

Anyway it still doesn't work . I've checked the info in
/etc/mail/auth/client-info and everything over and over. I can see
sendmail trying to connect to the right host on posrt 465 with
"netstat" but all I get is "connection reset [by peer]". When I send
from thunderbird, the remot host always sends back a certificate.
Wonder if sendmail is waiting for some action when it gets that cert?

As mentioned in the above link, what AuthMechanisms
(confAUTH_MECHANISMS) have you used? Did you try anything other than
the defaults?

TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5')dnl

--
Raqueeb Hassan
Bangladesh

.