Virtual Serial Port / Tunneling

Given:
2 Linux servers (Server 1 (elmo) & Server 2 (oscar) -- assume RHEL ES4
if needed) with network connections on different subnets, each with a
a Digi AccelePort Xem with 16-port RS-232 RJ-45 concentrator (/dev/
ttyx0 - ttyxf) attached. Muti-Tech modems for inbound & outbound
faxing will be attached to serial ports on each server. Will be
running HylaFax to send out faxes to the various tty ports.

Needed:
Oscar acts as D/R for Elmo. However instead of paying for lines &
modems to be utilized as D/R, I would rather use them for production
and accept the reduced capacity if we had to fail over to D/R.
Therefore, I am wanting to find out if there is a server software that
will allow me to share the local specified TTY over TCP/IP. And client
software that will allow me to virtualize a local port to the shared
TCP/IP port on the other server. So in this case, Oscar would need the
serial to ethernet server enabling and Elmo would need the virtual
client to map it as a local serial port.

I understand that there are plenty of serial over ethernet servers
with proprietary client software to create virtual serial ports on
linux/win workstations or servers. However, I already have the serial
cards for these servers purchased and would rather use what I have
than buy something standalone allbeit preferred.

Thanks in advance!

  • Re: problem with netra t 105 LOM
    ... receive pin was burnt out by an overvoltage condition. ... predecessors with DB25 serial ports. ... was plugged into a different power circuit than the server. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Questions regarding remote console and v880
    ... I have a question regarding the use of serial ports to access a Sun Server ... RSC card: currently we have a RSC connection set up as a console, ... eventually like to switch to using a Remote Annex 2000 to manage remote ...
    (comp.sys.sun.hardware)
  • Re: USB to serial printer will only print a fraction of self-initiated jobs
    ... serial ports, thus I had to buy a USB to serial adapter so my printer ... the receipt to her local printer, she is only able to fully print ... workgroup file server). ... Shouldn't your Point of Sale Vendor be doing the support. ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • Re: USB to serial printer will only print a fraction of self-initiated jobs
    ... serial ports, thus I had to buy a USB to serial adapter so my printer ... workgroup file server). ... I realize that they are expensive for support calls, but if the system never actually worked right to begin with, then I would be complaining about that. ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • Re: SBS 2008
    ... I'm running the latest RC in a virtual server 2005 instance, but hyper-v is something of a different beast and I haven't had a chance to provision a win2k8 server testing yet... ... that I will virtualize my entire SBS 2008 domain. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)