Re: DNS problem?

Bill Marcum <marcumbill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:25:37 GMT, Luciano PELLE
<ciano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,
I posted this question in some other groups but can't get any answer.
I'm trying to connect to the Internet via an UMTS Internet Box from Option
(you can view it at http://www.option.com/products/globesurfer_icon.shtml).
I followed this guide http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/agebhard/GlobeSurfer/ and
apparently I can estabilish a connection, but I can neither visualize web
apges nor ping any address.
The final part of the connection log sais:

Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
local IP address 151.82.6.8
remote IP address 10.64.64.64 <--- ???
primary DNS address 10.11.12.13 <--- ???
secondary DNS address 10.11.12.14 <--- ???

Normally (using a cell phone for the connection and the same SIM card) I
get something like 192.200.1.21 for the remote IP address and
193.70.152.25 and 193.70.192.25 for the primary and secondary DNS
addresses respectively. I hope I am in the right place to find some help,
but, if I'm not can someone suggest me some kind of resource?
Thanks in advance.

10.64.64.64 is usually the default address for on-demand ppp or pppoe
before a connection is made. Try pinging an address like
69.147.114.210 (www.yahoo.com) and look at the last lines of
/var/log/syslog.

I'll venture to add 10.64.64.64 is the _pppd_ default and likely means
that the peer didn't provide an IP address for itself. That shouldn't
make any difference however. The local address isn't RFC 1819 and it
should work. The sequencing in the DNS addresses appears questionable
and they may be bogus. On the other hand they _are_ on the same /24 CIDR
subnet.

It might simply be that there is no auto-magic setup for DNS by the
distribution. In that case just add

nameserver 10.11.12.13
nameserver 10.11.12.14

to /etc/resolv.conf. These will also appear in /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
but unless the distribution does magic they won't be used there. See
man pppd, usepeerdns, for other places where they appear. If they are
they are supplied by the ISP then they should work.

--
Clifford Kite
/* Speak softly and carry a sucker rod (See man syslogd, footnote to