Re: How are device names assigned to eth devices?

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:26:46 GMT, Unruh wrote:

I am confused. udev does not sound like something that would be handling
device names. And why would it be refusing to assign eth0 to the device but
be happy with eth2, esp since eth0 does not exist on the machine.
And what does udev use to assign those names? Ie there must be some program
that actually does the assigning.

May depend on which linux you are running.

To get my eth0 straightened out I did a
rm -f /etc/iftab
rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules
and setup values in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.
Then again I run Mandriva Linux.

  • Re: How are device names assigned to eth devices?
    ... esp since eth0 does not exist on the machine. ... And what does udev use to assign those names? ... Then again I run Mandriva Linux. ... FluxBox desktop (with some kde and some gnome programs), ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: How are device names assigned to eth devices?
    ... esp since eth0 does not exist on the machine. ... And what does udev use to assign those names? ... Then again I run Mandriva Linux. ... FluxBox desktop (with some kde and some gnome programs), ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: [Fwd: Config Network Setting]
    ... kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1 ... it is a network interface PCI card ... the built-in NIC becomes eth1 and the PCI becomes eth0. ... It appears that udev does the device switching. ...
    (Fedora)
  • [Full-disclosure] [ MDVSA-2009:103 ] udev
    ... Security vulnerabilities have been identified and fixed in udev. ... The updated packages have been patched to prevent this. ... Mandriva Linux 2008.1/X86_64: ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • [ MDVSA-2009:103 ] udev
    ... Security vulnerabilities have been identified and fixed in udev. ... The updated packages have been patched to prevent this. ... Mandriva Linux 2008.1/X86_64: ...
    (Bugtraq)