Re: Bandwidth optimisation

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:43:54 +0200, john <john@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, I am using Linux at home, ADSL ~16 Mbps/~1 Mbps Internet connection
and my ping time to my ISP is 160-170 msec.

When downloading something with Firefox, I am getting download speeds of
about 100-180 KB/sec (for example when downloading SP2 of XP from MS
server).

Are the Linux networking settings OK for this kind of latency, or do I
have to change some settings?

There's is nothing to set, nothing to optimize. Your connection is primarily
limited by the fact that microsoft a while back decided to use their own
OS for their web servers.

Try speedtest.net and/or kernel.org for a better test.

  • Re: Outgoing POP3 email missing/lost/not received
    ... Funny thing is that I have had this ISP for 8 years and it has always been ... It looks like when you last ran CEICW, you set the ISP's mail server to: ... Internet Connection Wizard. ... After the wizard completes, the following network connection ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: how to save the visitors ip addresses
    ... through the same proxy. ... In the case of the IP address identifying the server. ... The only IP visible in the header is the one assigned to your site by your ISP. ... With none having lost a connection ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Please Help No good backup & Companyweb Down.........
    ... Merv Porter [SBS MVP] ... Is either Automatically Detect Settings or Proxy Server checkmarked? ... Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Filename that has the Vegas pro settings
    ... It downloads virus definitions from their server, ... I'll try and find a way to get my internet connection ... And the NAT provided by the router, ... are the ones provided for free by your ISP. ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: NFS Problems/Questions
    ... I am connecting two workstations to a NFS server, ... Connecting from a client (both clients get approximately the same ... ## Remote connection, mounted in /etc/fstab as with flags: ... different mount settings and these are the best results I could ...
    (freebsd-questions)