Re: Bandwidth optimisation

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:43:54 +0200, john <john@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, I am using Linux at home, ADSL ~16 Mbps/~1 Mbps Internet connection
and my ping time to my ISP is 160-170 msec.

When downloading something with Firefox, I am getting download speeds of
about 100-180 KB/sec (for example when downloading SP2 of XP from MS
server).

Are the Linux networking settings OK for this kind of latency, or do I
have to change some settings?

There's is nothing to set, nothing to optimize. Your connection is primarily
limited by the fact that microsoft a while back decided to use their own
OS for their web servers.

Try speedtest.net and/or kernel.org for a better test.
.