Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (continued)

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 16:36:24 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:
Bit Twister wrote:
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 04:22:10 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:
This problem is frustrating. I firmly believe (with almost no supporting
evidence) that a reboot to regain a lost Internet connection should be a
last resort.

I agree.

I might have missed it, but is that first boot after winME was running?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

What I was after is the sequences of boots with regard to what was
running before the boot. Example: Both systems are set dhcp.

Boot WinMe and run for awhile.
boot fedora and some time later connection goes down
boot fedora and no problem

If connection failure is always in that order, then my theory is the router
remembers the dhcp lease assigned to doze and cannot get a renewal
when you are running fedora on your first boot.

That will cause the connection drop and the router will refuse
traffic connections with fedore.

I was guessing winME was not Releasing the lease on shutdown.
You boot fedora, it gets the connection up on it's old lease contents,
But, does not get a lease renewal from the router.

Why does reboot not have the problem you ask.

When you reboot, while going down, fedora sends a lease cancel to router,
comes up, and the router and fedora shake hands over lease
info and have no problems thereafter.

If you are asking about the time that
Fedora became unbootable, here is the history:

1. WinME ran with static IP on 11/3
2. Fedora ran OK with static IP on 11/4
3. Fedora failed to boot on 11/5.

Here I would be guessing,
o you used the dhcp ip addresses as static
o router still thought the ip address was DHCP
o lease expired
o no new lease negotiated and refused the connection to 192.168.1.47

And/Or /etc/hosts not set per my sugestions and gave you the hard time. :)

You commented that it is OK to have dual boot where Linux uses static IP
and Windows uses dynamic IP. To keep things simple, this is the config I
would prefer.

Yes, but we are troubleshooting here and need to reduce the suspect list
and get a known working baseline with the least amount of interaction.

Assuming Verizon does not get into the mix, I see no setup problem
with doing what you want. IF you use a different static ip, no
localhost node name, /etc/hosts set as asked.

I kinda thought that when I configured for static IP,
something was being permanently stored in flash memory in the NIC

I do not think so.

and/or modem/router.

Yes, and I am guessing the router is the problem. Why you ask. If it
was fedora, the reboot should have the same problem as a normal boot.

I thought that if I left Windows with dynamic IP, it would
undo those flash changes I configured from Fedora.

But you left static ip same as dhcp and if the lease is not renewed, modem
will drop the connection to 192.168.1.47.

That is why I wanted your fedora
/etc/hosts file set somewhat as follows:
$ head -3 /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.140 fedora.home.invalid fedora
192.168.1.1 gateway

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=fedora.home.invalid

and you have set eth0 up as static for ip 192.168.1.140

I've been going over your suggested changes from both threads.

Yeah, but your piecemeal approach about putting in my suggestions is
causing more problems. :(

Upside is, all the experience/knowledge you are gaining. :)

For the
time being, I want to make only changes needed for troubleshooting.

So far you are fighting me on getting the job done. :-D
What I have been after is:

Get fedora in a normal configuration (node/hosts).
Static connection with ip address different than dhcp ip.
Power reset modem, prove fedora boots, reboots and runs without problems.

If so, that would leave fedora's dhcp client as a suspect.
That is ruled out because you say after reboot, fedora does not have
the problem when runinnig dhcp.

To cut modem's dhcp server out of the loop, set static ips and verify
connection does not have problems.

With both OSs set static different ips, and booting winME/fedora does not
have connection drops, you now have isolated the modem as the culprit.

Now, you boot doze, change it back to dhcp, reboot doze, boot fedora.
Connection drops you know the modem is causing the problem and have a
working solution to fall back on.

For now, I'm not concerned about apps which want to communicate over
127.0.0.1.

HAHAHAHHaHahahaha, cough, cough, choke. whew....

Did you remember when sendmail stalled your boot.

On normal setups/install, 127.0.0.1 localhost is in /etc/hosts.

On your system you named your node localhost and the ip address comes
in from the nic. When the network fails to come up, you start seeing
problems. So far you have been lucky, connection comes up, localhost
ip addy resolves to 192.168.1.47 and all is well.

When node named localhost, cannot be resolved, you will see problems.

I'm concerned about making changes that will render Fedora unbootable.
(I've already had a close call with the change to static IP). I don't
have the experience to repair Fedora if it becomes unbootable.

I hear where you are comming from. Had /etc/hosts contained the
127.0.0.1 localhost, you would not have had the problem.

Trust me. give your node a FQDN with a name beside localhost.
In a static setup, a line with ip FQDN alias in /etc/hosts with a
127.0.0.1 localhost line.

Here is my suggestion:

Get into the network gui, set it static 192.168.1.150 with a
node/domain name as fedora.home.invalid, 192.168.1.1 as your DNS
server. Close the gui.

cat these files and verify contents.
If not the same, use an editor and fix them

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=fedora.home.invalid

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.150 fedora.home.invalid fw
192.168.1.1 gateway

Power down modem. Wait 30 seconds by watch/clock.
Power up modem, wait for leds to settle
Reboot Fedora to prove fedora works.

As far as "render Fedora unbootable" that is the problem with using
gui to modify config files. Knowing which confif files to backup, and
edit from a command line in failsafe/rescue cd helps.

I recommend that you play with vi in a terminal and write these very basic
commands down and put them in a binder where you can find them. :)

vi fn_here
i <======= puts you into the insert mode

Now you can use arrow keys and whatnot.
When ready to get out,

Esc <==== (escape key) gets you into the command mode
:wq <=== save changes and quit
:q! <==== quit without saving.

With Mandriva linux, it provides a rosetta stone file which has what
values in what file does what. (/usr/share/doc/initscripts/sysconfig.txt)

If you can not find docs about config files, what you could do is
install aide.
That would let you baseline the system.
Use your gui to make changes, run an aide check and the report would give
you all the files that changed. :)
Other option, read source code. :(

Before making changes, I'm going to do some googling into /etc/hosts and
FQDN to try to raise my confidence level. Also, I'd feel much more
comfortable if I understood what went wrong with my change to static IP.

My guess, with node name = localhost, no 127.0.0.1 and hostname/ip in
/etc/hosts; that is what helped you into the ditch.

By the way, I remembered that I have a Ubuntu 6.06 CD. I've got many
gigs of free HDD space, and available logical partitions. But that is
too much of a detour to fix this problem.

Well, you started out with, why is fedora having these problems. If
running ubuntu and have the same problem, what would your guess be. :)

Hey, create a 10 gig logical partition. install ubuntu and pick Manual
during partition phase, set new partition as / and click format box,
and you will have a multi-boot system. Let it
run dhcp and if the connection drops out, you know that fedora is
not the problem.

Another solution/option you may want to consider, have a hot
backup/fallback install of fedora.

That is what I do for my install. Anytime I think I might put the
system in the ditch, I boot the hot backup and play there.

Create/format a logical 10 gig partition with mount point as /hotbu.

e2label /dev/XdYZ hotbu <==== creates a label for booting
You solve for X [h,s], Y [a,b,c...] & Z [1,2,3..]

mkdir /fc7 <==== create mount point for original install
to be used in hotbu's /etc/fstab
cd /etc
cp fstab fstab_works
cp fstab fstab_hotbu

Edit fstab_hotbu and change the label for / and change the hotbu
line to whatever label the original / had and the mount point to /fc7.
See the following:

# cat /hotbu/etc/fstab
LABEL=hotbu / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=fedora /fc7 ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=accounts /accounts ext3 defaults 1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
LABEL=2008_0 /2008_0 ext3 user,noauto,defaults 1 2
LABEL=2007_0 /2007_0 ext3 user,noauto,defaults 1 2
LABEL=bk_up /bk_up ext3 user,noauto,defaults 1 2
LABEL=2007_1 /2007_1 ext3 user,noauto,defaults 1 2
LABEL=local /local ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=kubu7 /kubu7 ext3 user,noauto,defaults 1 2
/dev/sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Next you can edt /boot/grub/menu.lst, duplicate the fedora stanza, change
the label to hotbu, save exit.

Next you need to note which partition have what. Assuming two drives
blkid /dev/Xda*
blkid /dev/Xdb*

If you have a printer, I would get a hardcopy.

Now you boot a rescue cd

mkdir /old
mkdir /new
mount -t auto /dev/XdYZ /old
mount -t auto /dev/XdYZ /new

Double/triple check /dev/XdYZ /old is current fedora and
/dev/XdYZ /new is the newly formated partition.

# Copy fedora partition contents into new partition.

cd /old
cp -a . /new

# fix new copy's fstab to use new partition a /

cd /new/etc
cp fstab_hotbu fstab

# all done close the partitions, and get out of rescue cd.
cd
umount /old /new

shutdown -r

Eject rescue cd, pick hotbu from grub menu and you
should be running in your hotbu partition.

Another option is run a virtual machine. http://www.vmware.com has a
free player where you should be able to find an fc7 install to play in.

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

  • Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (continued)
    ... evidence) that a reboot to regain a lost Internet connection should be a last resort. ... but is that first boot after winME was running? ... boot fedora and some time later connection goes down ... Why does reboot not have the problem you ask. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Question on best method to report install issues.
    ... I've run into a had a couple of issues when doing an upgrade. ... and it failed when boot didn't have enough space. ... Forced reboot, and it would boot from the old ... and it was the same one from the Fedora ...
    (Fedora)
  • NetworkManager connecting during boot
    ... When I boot my Fedora 16 system, it takes quite some time till I can log-in after almost all seems to be setup. ... According to the kernel log the reason for this is that NetworkManager wait's until it successfully set up a wlan connection. ... I really link having NM negotiating the connection before I log-in, but on the other hand I can't see any benefits when the boot process is stopped during that time. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: HELP! Installed some rawhide packages and now system will not boot! [SOLVED]
    ... version in Fedora 12/13. ... On reboot LVM was able to find all 4 of my logical volumes but then ... the boot process fails and I get a message that I need to run e2fsck. ... chroot'd to /mnt/sysimage which rescue mode automatically mounts ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: Fedora Installation
    ... Subject: Fedora Installation ... You need to reboot the machine. ... boot from the cd-rom before booting the hard drive. ... To unsubscribe: http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list -- fedora-list mailing list ...
    (Fedora)