Re: Name resolution for local names using DHCP

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:20:08 -0600, Charles Russell
<NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Unruh wrote:
This would by far be the easiest thing to do, just assign ip
addresses to mac addresses and be done with it.

OK, you folks have convinced me. Thanks.

Typically, the stock firmware in the Linksys WRT54G does not allow you
to assign IP addresses to a MAC address. I have updated the Linksys firmware
with third party firmware so I can do this.

I am presently using firmware from here:

http://www.thibor.co.uk/

The version is:

Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c

The version you download depends on the version of the Linksys WRT54G.

On the Linux machine, I just run a forwarding DNS. It resolves my
names locally and then sends all other requests to my ISP. I let the
Linksys set the DNS addresses for all of the machines on my local
network.

--
Frank Hahn

Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
-- D. E. Knuth

  • RE: Wireless access
    ... If you are interested in making your wireless linksys router a little more powerful you should check out Sveasoft's firmware version for the Linksys WRT54G. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Sveasoft "DHCP static IP assignment"?
    ... firmware for the Linksys WRT54G is something called "DHCP static IP ... assignment to specific MAC addresses". ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: [SLE] WRT54G wireless woes
    ... >> Just got a Linksys WRT54G and putting it through its paces. ... How did you install the latest firmware using SuSE Linux? ... How did you load it if it's only available for Windows? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Share wifi but NOT network
    ... I have a Linksys WRT54G which has ver. ... never upgraded the firmware but I believe I have the latest drivers. ... DD-WRT, this is easy, is this the hardware and firmware you are using? ... fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Router for Live - Recommendations
    ... I've had good luck with my Linksys WRT54G, ... "The WRT54G is famous for being the first consumer-level network device ... This allows programmers to modify the firmware to ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)