Re: Name resolution for local names using DHCP

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:20:08 -0600, Charles Russell
<NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Unruh wrote:
This would by far be the easiest thing to do, just assign ip
addresses to mac addresses and be done with it.

OK, you folks have convinced me. Thanks.

Typically, the stock firmware in the Linksys WRT54G does not allow you
to assign IP addresses to a MAC address. I have updated the Linksys firmware
with third party firmware so I can do this.

I am presently using firmware from here:

http://www.thibor.co.uk/

The version is:

Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c

The version you download depends on the version of the Linksys WRT54G.

On the Linux machine, I just run a forwarding DNS. It resolves my
names locally and then sends all other requests to my ISP. I let the
Linksys set the DNS addresses for all of the machines on my local
network.

--
Frank Hahn

Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
-- D. E. Knuth
.