Re: need help with port 113 and sendmail

Nomen Nescio wrote:
The ip addresses have been munged on purpose.

Our server is 536.582.721.75 and is running RH9. We have one customer who can not get email over to us. The iptables is setup to allow everything from 364.365.364.62.
I'm not even sure who is blocking whom and how did port 113 get into the picture?

The maillog shows:
Quote:
net sendmail[21611]: k5T6rkD0021611: mail.srek.org [364.365.364.62] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

As another reader has commented, port 113 is for the Ident protocol. This indicates that the sending party MAY have sendmail configured to perform an Ident check before sending mail to you and that the Ident timeout parameter has been set too high. You may either choose to start ident daemon on your RH server and allow requests on port 113 through your firewall or ask the sending party to change sendmail configuration to set a lower value for ident timeout.

...then again there could be 100 other reasons why the sending party fails... he may not even run sendmail....

  • RE: Odd identd behavior
    ... Yes, he said mailserver logs, but that's because the mailservers in question were connecting back to the ident port which is fairly standard behavior. ... What's not standard is that they were getting a response back from the service listening on the ident port that was not consistent with an ident server. ... The conclusion of "it looks like an FTP server" is based on the fact that many warez kiddies install FTP servers on non-standard ports, and that the remainder of the header looks like a warez banner. ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: iptables firewall making smtp/pop3 slow in response
    ... Most likely the delay is due to packets being sent to port 113 (ident) ... If the server is your mail ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Identifying NATed machines
    ... You have to trust the ident ... server, and if it's not under trustworthy control, all bets are off. ... the server on your NAT box replies with the encrypted ... This may not be enough - as the complaining party would have to know to ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Odd identd behavior
    ... the ident port that was not consistent with an ident server. ... The conclusion of "it looks like an FTP server" is based on the fact ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: A Few Questions
    ... > Only problem is it's an IRC Server that I need it for! ... > no Ident. ... > in the router/firewall hosted by this box. ... > LAN query I get an ident reply. ...
    (Fedora)