Re: need help with port 113 and sendmail

Nomen Nescio wrote:
The ip addresses have been munged on purpose.

Our server is 536.582.721.75 and is running RH9. We have one customer who can not get email over to us. The iptables is setup to allow everything from 364.365.364.62.
I'm not even sure who is blocking whom and how did port 113 get into the picture?

The maillog shows:
Quote:
net sendmail[21611]: k5T6rkD0021611: mail.srek.org [364.365.364.62] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

As another reader has commented, port 113 is for the Ident protocol. This indicates that the sending party MAY have sendmail configured to perform an Ident check before sending mail to you and that the Ident timeout parameter has been set too high. You may either choose to start ident daemon on your RH server and allow requests on port 113 through your firewall or ask the sending party to change sendmail configuration to set a lower value for ident timeout.

...then again there could be 100 other reasons why the sending party fails... he may not even run sendmail....

.