Re: Setting up a linux fileserver

terryc a écrit :
On Sat, 02 May 2009 02:26:46 +0000, terryc wrote:

On Fri, 01 May 2009 15:32:55 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

I thought there were no collisions in full duplex. (And who still uses
half duplex now ?)

Actually, I think the correct answer should have been Link=/=segment.

I am not sure what you call exactly link and segment. Are they related to OSI layer 2 (data link layer, broadcast domain) and layer 1 (physical layer, collision domain) ?

but as the original poster explained, 40(?) boxen coming into one server NIC equals 40 boxen on one LAN segment (AFAIK) causing congestion.

Congestion at some bottleneck (the server, the switch), maybe. Collision, not in a full duplex switched environment.
.