Re: Setting up a linux fileserver

terryc a écrit :
On Sat, 02 May 2009 02:26:46 +0000, terryc wrote:

On Fri, 01 May 2009 15:32:55 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

I thought there were no collisions in full duplex. (And who still uses
half duplex now ?)

Actually, I think the correct answer should have been Link=/=segment.

I am not sure what you call exactly link and segment. Are they related to OSI layer 2 (data link layer, broadcast domain) and layer 1 (physical layer, collision domain) ?

but as the original poster explained, 40(?) boxen coming into one server NIC equals 40 boxen on one LAN segment (AFAIK) causing congestion.

Congestion at some bottleneck (the server, the switch), maybe. Collision, not in a full duplex switched environment.

  • RE: Mysterious problem on my clients Windows Server 2003 Network
    ... cable is configured to 100Mbps full duplex and the other end to ... people miss the fact that configuring specific parameters always turn ... would lose connection to the server and/or connection to the internet, ... server telling the computer that the received data is corrupt. ...
  • Re: [fw-wiz] separating the servers on a switch
    ... > We want to control which server can talk to which other server (in the ... > segment), utilizing one of the firewalls. ... layer 2 connection. ... Static ARP tables: ARP only the routers/firewalls and the devices each ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: VMware & Linux server users Data
    ... We have a segmented database of 50,000+ SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) ... segment, through multiple channels such as phone, email, fax and post. ... ERP Users data I CRM Users Data I Network Users Data I Desktop Users Data I ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: ps2 nntp server
    ... NNTP Server ... Connected to Ethernet segment 192.168.1.x via IBM 8222 8-port hub and then ... drivers for the MCA Type-5 adapters sorted and working from the 3172 OS/2 ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)
  • Re: [9.04] printing with lpd: remove duplex options
    ... I just upgraded the server to 9.04. ... Now all options, like Duplex, disappear! ... Stopping printers step by step, ... after transfert with lpd on the server, ...
    (Ubuntu)