Re: Why use DNS for these servers ?

On Jun 22, 6:51 am, wkevin <wkev...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  I know that for DNS, NTP and DHCP, we use UDP servers. This is
common practice (and I believe it is so on other operating systems,
besides Linux).

With the exception of DNS, they have to work this way. DNS can use
either TCP, UDP, or both. Most systems default to UDP first for
historical reasons.

My question is: what is the reason behind it? why not use TCP servers
for DNS or for NTP or for  DHCP?

DNS: Sure, you can. Lots of people do.
NTP: Wouldn't work. TCP's transmit pacing would make NTP totally
broken.
DHCP: Wouldn't work. There is no broadcast TCP.

DS

  • Re: Resolving Hostnames
    ... DNS entries (1 for each NTP server in the pool) and a TTL value ... request basis and not on a client basis...that is the reason for my ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Hardware for new FreeBSD-based firewall - recommendations?
    ... ntp, smb, smtp, nfs, dhcpd, dns, web server plus a goodly handful of stuff running overnight. ... dns ... smtp gateway ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Best practice: re-resolve server IP address before each poll/query
    ... "SHOULD resolve the server IP address via DNS before each poll/query, so that the pertinent DNS entries' Time-To-Live values are respected." ... An NTP client will query as frequently as once per minute and doing a DNS lookup each time would border on the absurd. ... IP addresses do not change all that often and a system that did change IP addresses frequently would not be much use as an NTP server. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Hardware for new FreeBSD-based firewall - recommendations?
    ... ntp, smb, smtp, nfs, dhcpd, dns, web server plus a goodly ... dns ... smtp gateway ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Service DNS and NTP from FC6
    ... I can verify from the console and from SSH sessions that the DNS does resolve correctly, and the NTP daemon does operate correctly. ... I have told the firewall to allow port 53 and 123 traffic -- and have even disabled the firewall completely. ...
    (Fedora)