Re: ping same public host via Ethernet and wireless connection at the same time

Xiaochuan Shen wrote:
Hello group!

For the purpose of demonstrating difference in multipath latency, I
would like to measure the “ping” time from my laptop to the same host on
Internet, via two different paths: wired Ethernet, and Wifi connection
respectively. The two connections here both support DHCP client and are
connect to Internet with different ISPs (wired university LAN, wireless
commercial connection).

Ideally I wish I can ping a public host (let’s say Google for example)
through the two different connections on the same machine and at the
same time.

I have tried to make the wireless interface gained IP address by DHCP
while statically assign IP address to Ethernet interface. The routing
table after this are as follows:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Iface
192.168.2.0 192.168.2.200 255.255.255.0 UG eth1
192.168.14.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U wlan0
0.0.0.0 192.168.14.1 0.0.0.0 UG wlan0

where eth1 is the wired interface and wlan0 is the wifi card.
192.168.2.200 is the gateway on wired Ethernet.

Of course I can reach Google via wlan0. However I have tried to do:
Ping –r –I eth1 www.google.com

And ICMP packets seemed never come back via eth1. I am wondering whether
it is possible to reach public host under my configurations?

Thanks for your time.

All the best,
Xiaochuan

Some router between your PC and the internet must route packets from the
internet addressed to your PC via your ethernet interface.

What happens if you switch off your ethernet interface (ifconfig eth1 down)?

Robert

  • ping same public host via Ethernet and wireless connection at the same time
    ... The two connections here both support DHCP client and are connect to Internet with different ISPs ... Ideally I wish I can ping a public host through the two different connections on the same machine and at the same time. ... is the gateway on wired Ethernet. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • understanding chkrootkit: sshd section
    ... Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted. ... Secure connection to %.100s on port %hu refused%.100s. ... Warning: Remote host refused compression. ... Received RSA challenge from server. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • understanding chkrootkit: sshd section
    ... Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted. ... Secure connection to %.100s on port %hu refused%.100s. ... Warning: Remote host refused compression. ... Received RSA challenge from server. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: ICS and FS trouble
    ... >>>client for ms networks, service advertising protocol, file and printer ... >>>execept that the MS beta AntiSpyware connects to the internet and recognises ... >> Microsoft doesn't support changing the ICS host computer's LAN ... >> Internet connection has a 192.168.0.x address that can't be changed to ...
  • Re: understanding chkrootkit: sshd section
    ... Connection will not be encrypted. ... > Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted. ... > Could not request local forwarding. ... Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)