Re: Ping domain name vs nslookup IP

SL Da wrote:
1. When I ping 'bayregatta.com' I see 209.160.33.87

2. When I try 'nslookup 209.160.33.87', I get 'non-existent domain'.

I am a bit confused. Can someone explain ?

1. Assuming the ping looked up bayregatta.com via DNS, that's a DNS A record lookup.

2. Since that is going to use the defined DNS, it's trying to find the PTR record associated by the IP. Specifically it is trying to lookup
87.33.160.209.in-addr.arpa. But apparently there is no zone for the PTR record, thus the message.

  • Re: Ping
    ... Ping -a works to the same IP address on Win2k and WinNT ... >Maybe there's no PTR record in DNS for that address. ... >hostname by doing a reverse lookup so if that fails then ...
  • Re: Page cannot be found
    ... I have been trying to help someone with a similar problem, ping of yahoo ... line "Internet Explorer Q824145 size 1.23mb used occasionally last used ... > winsock getting corrupted by installation of software can be other ... > IP address automatically", click on the DNS tab, disable DNS here, click ...
  • Re: USR5637 USB modem setup (2)
    ... Good - not having those in that file breaks DNS for you. ... Avahi program. ... ping -nc2 152.46.7.80 ... Now, if this works, your setup is fine, and it's the browser that's ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Cant see out to .co.uk from inside my .local domain (forward l
    ... Well I removed the entry from my hosts file and issued a ping command to both ... network only from the server which I changed the hosts file for. ... Indeed is it even a DNS issue. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: iptables udp and output
    ... Ping can be a nice tool to help troubleshoot the network with. ... If those are incoming connection requests, you could specify that they're ... DNS traffic is UDP. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)