Re: Ping domain name vs nslookup IP
SL Da wrote:
1. When I ping 'bayregatta.com' I see 18.104.22.168
2. When I try 'nslookup 22.214.171.124', I get 'non-existent domain'.
I am a bit confused. Can someone explain ?
1. Assuming the ping looked up bayregatta.com via DNS, that's a DNS A record lookup.
2. Since that is going to use the defined DNS, it's trying to find the PTR record associated by the IP. Specifically it is trying to lookup
126.96.36.199.in-addr.arpa. But apparently there is no zone for the PTR record, thus the message.
- Re: Ping
... Ping -a works to the same IP address on Win2k and WinNT ... >Maybe there's no PTR record in DNS for that address. ... >hostname by doing a reverse lookup so if that fails then ...
- Re: Page cannot be found
... I have been trying to help someone with a similar problem, ping of yahoo ... line "Internet Explorer Q824145 size 1.23mb used occasionally last used ... > winsock getting corrupted by installation of software can be other ... > IP address automatically", click on the DNS tab, disable DNS here, click ...
- Re: USR5637 USB modem setup (2)
... Good - not having those in that file breaks DNS for you. ... Avahi program. ... ping -nc2 188.8.131.52 ... Now, if this works, your setup is fine, and it's the browser that's ...
- Re: Cant see out to .co.uk from inside my .local domain (forward l
... Well I removed the entry from my hosts file and issued a ping command to both ... network only from the server which I changed the hosts file for. ... Indeed is it even a DNS issue. ...
- Re: Multiple Domains and 1 is not working
... likely) in Internet Explore ... > If I ping either address: ALPHASITE.com points to the internal IP: ... but merely a DNS zone/domain name. ... You cannot have a DNS resolution point to both an internal ...