Re: Ping domain name vs nslookup IP

SL Da wrote:
1. When I ping '' I see

2. When I try 'nslookup', I get 'non-existent domain'.

I am a bit confused. Can someone explain ?

1. Assuming the ping looked up via DNS, that's a DNS A record lookup.

2. Since that is going to use the defined DNS, it's trying to find the PTR record associated by the IP. Specifically it is trying to lookup But apparently there is no zone for the PTR record, thus the message.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Ping
    ... Ping -a works to the same IP address on Win2k and WinNT ... >Maybe there's no PTR record in DNS for that address. ... >hostname by doing a reverse lookup so if that fails then ...
  • Re: Page cannot be found
    ... I have been trying to help someone with a similar problem, ping of yahoo ... line "Internet Explorer Q824145 size 1.23mb used occasionally last used ... > winsock getting corrupted by installation of software can be other ... > IP address automatically", click on the DNS tab, disable DNS here, click ...
  • Re: USR5637 USB modem setup (2)
    ... Good - not having those in that file breaks DNS for you. ... Avahi program. ... ping -nc2 ... Now, if this works, your setup is fine, and it's the browser that's ...
  • Re: Cant see out to from inside my .local domain (forward l
    ... Well I removed the entry from my hosts file and issued a ping command to both ... network only from the server which I changed the hosts file for. ... Indeed is it even a DNS issue. ...
  • Re: HTTP trouble in 2004
    ... In this way, all DNS ... how does this server resolve external ... They are just HTTP ... > Ping in ALLOW PING protool from EXTERNAL to INTERNAL ...