No ARP Table, and a DNS issue.

I have an (embedded) linux device which is trying to communicate with
a URL (e.g. http://www.google.co.uk). When I wireshark the output
from the eth0, all I see is an ARP request for the default gateway,
which is never resolved. When I view the ARP table (arp, arp
neighbor, etc), Linux tells me it doesn't recognise the command.

This may be related, or may not. If I ty to ping an IP address, it
works fine. If I try to ping the URL associated with the IP address,
it doesn't. Sounds like a DNS problem. So, I checked /etc/
resolve.conf, but this is fine.

Other machines (admittedly, no embedded), don't have these problems.
Kernel was build using buildroot, and busybox, on a Fedora Linux
machine.

  • Re: Why Linux is blind to this ARP reply ?
    ... I'm wondering if Linux does not "like" something about the arp reply. ... that the returned IBM MAC address is, in fact, the MAC of the IBM ... to place a route in a policy routing table. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Why Linux is blind to this ARP reply ?
    ... I followed every one of your links, I've studied the packets to the ... the router when it is replying to Windows or Linux. ... > running proxy arp and/or filled with static routes? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
    ... >for any local IP adress would respond to that request. ... There's a feature to do linux to behave like other OS and systems, ... Solaris 8 -> does not send ARP reply of other interface. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
    ... > It's not about source routing. ... Yes, that's exactly the point, the way Linux works has bad effects on ... > configurations actually respond with different ARP answers based upon ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Linux kernel 2.4 "weak end host" issue Explained
    ... > bind a service to the IP of a specific network interface usually is to ... Any Linux users who think this way are sadly misinformed as to how IPv4 ... That is why ARP exists in the first place. ...
    (Bugtraq)