Re: No ARP Table, and a DNS issue.

On 3.7.10 9:31 , jny0 wrote:
I have an (embedded) linux device which is trying to communicate with
a URL (e.g. http://www.google.co.uk). When I wireshark the output
from the eth0, all I see is an ARP request for the default gateway,
which is never resolved. When I view the ARP table (arp, arp
neighbor, etc), Linux tells me it doesn't recognise the command.

This means that the default gateway is not in the same physical
local network as your device, or your device is banned by the gateway.

Please note that in a network built of multiple local networks,
the default gateway is different in each local network. It is
the device connected to both the local network and to next
network towards the Internet.

This may be related, or may not. If I ty to ping an IP address, it
works fine. If I try to ping the URL associated with the IP address,
it doesn't. Sounds like a DNS problem. So, I checked /etc/
resolve.conf, but this is fine.

You do not get a connection to the DNS server, maybe of the
same problem as above.

Other machines (admittedly, no embedded), don't have these problems.
Kernel was build using buildroot, and busybox, on a Fedora Linux
machine.

If you still have problems, please post the layout of
your network and the addresses, gateways and netmasks
assigned to each node.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  • Re: Could broadcast frames in MAC layer be passed cross subnet?
    ... layer has to supply a gateway address in the local subnet. ... The gateway is the ARP'ed for. ... Proxy ARP means that the gateway is able to respond to ... tauno voipio iki fi ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: getting two subnets on the same ethernet adapter
    ... BMC's own local IP and have it rely on Proxy ARP too. ... a default gateway IP must be in the same IP ... That would be telling the BMC to reach non-local IP addresses by going ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Routing and ARP Problem - HELP
    ... > My Problem was, that eth0 had answered to any ARP Request, which was ... way since we are in same subnet and i can only set one default gateway ... There is no problem with having multiple ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • VPN/PPTP/ip/mail problem
    ... In the local network there is a mail/fileserver (sendmail, ... Also there is a gateway with local ip 10.0.0.1 and on the internetside ... A home user connects through pptp/vpn with a.b.c.d. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Configuring router for static IP address on LAN
    ... as long as the IP the DHCP server allocates doesn't ... subnet mask and the default gateway. ... to get _off_ the local network out to the wider world. ... "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)