Re: What is the minimum reverse network that can be delegated?

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
article <bc3d7fbf-7094-43ea-adf5-0714352dd760@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Ramon F Herrera wrote:

I am an old timer, and the smallest networks I have managed were Class
C. The traditional named configuration notation allowed me to place a
0 in the proper place, to have a reverse DNS delegated.

Classes when out of date with RFC1517 - but that's OK

Now I find myself in a network with a 255.255.255.240 mask. Can a
network block that small be delegated?

2317 Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation. H. Eidnes, G. de Groot, P.
Vixie. March 1998. (Format: TXT=17744 bytes) (Also BCP0020)

RFC2317 at your favorite search engine. I think the DNS-HOWTO

91563 Dec 23 2001 DNS-HOWTO

covers that as well.

Old guy
.