Re: Question about latency

On 2010-10-02, Industrial One <industrial_one@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
FIOS has a higher ping than cable? Y'all can't be serious... I thought
FIOS was way faster?

Based on everything I heard on this thread, I get that the shortest
possible ping halfway around the world is 88 ms since signals at most
travel 75% of Einsteins/s, but commonly would be double that due to
the way UDP works to make sure you are connected and twice again
because it doesn't travel in a completely straight line due to the
bounces it has to make.

Does this mean that I'd have to be on crack to look forward to latency-
free real time online gaming in the future?

No. Just run the game all on your own computer.
It also depends on how much data and data packets are exchanged.