Re: Question about latency

On 2010-10-02, Industrial One <industrial_one@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
FIOS has a higher ping than cable? Y'all can't be serious... I thought
FIOS was way faster?

Based on everything I heard on this thread, I get that the shortest
possible ping halfway around the world is 88 ms since signals at most
travel 75% of Einsteins/s, but commonly would be double that due to
the way UDP works to make sure you are connected and twice again
because it doesn't travel in a completely straight line due to the
bounces it has to make.

Does this mean that I'd have to be on crack to look forward to latency-
free real time online gaming in the future?

No. Just run the game all on your own computer.
It also depends on how much data and data packets are exchanged.

Relevant Pages