Re: VERY SLOW Intel e1000 1GB NIC

Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2011-09-23, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
I bought an Intel 1GB network card to replace my 100MB Netgear
card. My network speed has DRAMATICALLY decreased. My network
monitor shows bursts of ~100KB traffic and then pauses.

When you try to do *what*, exactly? And what does "pause" mean?

The network meter for eth4 in gkrellm alternates between traffic
around 90k and 0, then 80k, then 0, then 73k, then 0, then 78k,
etc... The state changes every second on the meter. I think
that timing is special to the measurement method, and not the
traffic. But? When I had my 100Mb/s card in the machine, then
even my 1.5Mb/s DSL traffic would reach 158K, sometimes even
above 160K. I can't see why a 1GB card should fare slower than a
DSL line.

It's not clear what your symptoms are. Try to measure using known
traffic. I think a pingflood between your machine and a nearby one
would be a good first test. You can vary packet sizes etc:

# ping -f -i0 -s1000 somewhere

I measured the traffic while transfering one Linux DVD ISO of
3.7G from machine A in my house to machine B in my house, while
at the same time transfering a vacation video ISO of 1.8G from
machine B in my house to machine A in my house. The measurements
happened to be done on machine A, which is also the machine
that's having trouble. All the gear between the two machines is
1Gb/s or better rated/spec'd.

Also, what does ethtool say? Does it report that you're really running
1Gbit full duplex?

Settings for eth4:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: umbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
Link detected: yes

I hope the added data is useful.

For what it's worth, I grabbed new kernel source for the e1000
module from Intel last night. I built and installed that, but
I haven't rebooted yet, as I haven't had time to do that in a
controlled manner, and leave enough time to repair things should
anything go wrong.

Thanks....