Linux as strong end host

Hi!

Among many usages, Linux can be used/configured as an "End
System" (a.k.a. host) or a router.

When using Linux as an ES (End System), Linux can be configured/used
as supporting either the "Strong ES Model" or the "Weak ES Model".
The
default for a Linux ES is the "Weak ES Model".

See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1122 regarding "Strong ES Model"
and
"Weak ES Model".

The question is, what is the easiest/best way to configure/setup
Linux
as an End System supporting the "Strong ES Model"?

Does there exist a "simple configuration flag" for configuring the
Linux host either as weak or strong?

If not do you think it would be a useful/helpful configuration option
to add?

Brs

  • Multiple subinterfaces per port on a 3745
    ... I am trying to replace a linux router with a cisco 3745 router (IOS ... interface FastEthernet0/1 ... Enter configuration commands, one per line. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: Multiple IPs
    ... have a Draytek 2820 router which allows me to use these addresses ... In practice you can probably safely use the "network" address as a host ... Using your "network" address for a host depends on your networking stack ... I had a further experiment today, moving one of my Linux boxes to ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Slow browsing with cable modem
    ... Linux box. ... > The routers address is one I haven't seen before. ... browsers are _useless_ for diagnosing network ... configuration problems. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Mysteriously hacked?
    ... Something strange happened recently on my Linux box. ... I checked the various logs in /var/log and I ... The router is configured not to allow configuration from outside ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Internet isnt accessible after update
    ... > then passes it on to the router. ... > Here is the configuration of the SHARED network connection ... > Default Gateway ... switch or a cross-over patch cable to your linux box. ...
    (Fedora)