Re: Why does ssh keep hanging

unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am connecting to the net via a home router wireless (Zoom) and I am
discovering that if I leave an ssh session for more than a minute of
two, it freezes (ie the ssh session stops being connected and the screen
is frozen)

One (or more) of the firewall devices between you and the remote server
is timing out your session. To stop this happening you need to use the
ServerAliveInterval setting.

For example, drop this in your ~/.ssh/config, or if the file already
exists, tweak it appropriately:

Host *
ServerAliveInterval 60

I often have these two configuration items in there, too, but YMMV:
ForwardX11 yes
Compression yes

Chris

  • RE: problems when opening an ssh session
    ... SSH2 uses a protocol that is not compatible with openSSH. ... Now if I open a connection from the SSH 3.2.0 client to the OpenSSH ... So I can open an ssh session with the 3.5p1 server but not with the ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: SSH question (some kind off-topic)
    ... forwarding, for instance, port 110 to the SSH session, or some other ... So my question is what happens in the SSH server then, the traffic can be analyzed on that side? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Setuid problems & OpenSSH X-forwarding
    ... But this must be manually reset upon ... >each new ssh session. ... The cookie in the .Xauthority file is basically the password to your X ... server (assuming they can make a connection to the server at the TCP/IP ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Setuid problems & OpenSSH X-forwarding
    ... But this must be manually reset upon ... >each new ssh session. ... The cookie in the .Xauthority file is basically the password to your X ... server (assuming they can make a connection to the server at the TCP/IP ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • RE: problems when opening an ssh session
    ... which I have installed OpenSSH versions 3.4p1 and 3.5p1 respectively. ... Now if I open a connection from the SSH 3.2.0 client to the OpenSSH ... So I can open an ssh session with the 3.5p1 server but not with the ...
    (SSH)