Install note for the ATI Mobility M3/M4

From: Benjamin-Hugo LeBlanc (hermogene_at_online.fr)
Date: 08/23/03

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:19:08 -0400

Problem:

For those of you using the ATI Mobility M3/M4 on their laptop computers
(e.g. the Dell Latitude C800), Mandrake 9.1 may report an error when you
configure Display on install. In fact, the graphic card option that
Mandrake automatically points you to - an ATI Rage 128 - will result in a
failure of the graphical interface and a launch in terminal mode only. A
little frustrating for those who still know nothing about Unix commands!

Solution:

Launch the installation CD again, opt for "updating Mandrake" and - in the
install summary (graphic card configuration), click on VESA "in XFREE". It
should do it.

I realize this may sound basic of obvious for the wizards, but I must admit
it took me a few hours to find it out! ;)

Regards,

BHL

Relevant Pages

  • Install note for the ATI Mobility M3/M4
    ... For those of you using the ATI Mobility M3/M4 on their laptop computers ... Mandrake 9.1 may report an error when you ... install summary (graphic card configuration), ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Why I dumped Linux and Went Back to Windows.
    ... >> my brief stint with SuSE, Mandrake wouldn't install properly, Lycoris ... It won't stop displaying my KDE ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Gentoo VS. Mandrake (Please!...no wars, OK?)
    ... All of them so far, except Gentoo, have been in my ... Mandrake has in my opinion done extremely well -CONSIDERING THE ... CDs to install as I type. ... While Mandrake upgrade in leaps & bounds from one ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • What have they done to linux :-(
    ... I've been running Mandrake 7.2 on my server box for a number of years, but I've upgraded packages so many times that it has started to get a bit creaky - a lot of the mandrake tools have got broken when I've forced RPM upgrades etc. ... I wanted to do a network install - so easy with Mandrake, but couldn't find an ubuntu ISO that claimed to be able to do it. ... There are a lot of howtos, explaining how to do a network install, but the process seems FAR more complicated than it was with Mandrake. ... Anyone know where I can get a version of abbrowser that works on a modern distro, or a modern distro that works? ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Gentoo VS. Mandrake (Please!...no wars, OK?)
    ... All of them so far, except Gentoo, have been in my ... Mandrake has in my opinion done extremely well -CONSIDERING THE ... CDs to install as I type. ... While Mandrake upgrade in leaps & bounds from one ...
    (alt.linux)