Install note for the ATI Mobility M3/M4

From: Benjamin-Hugo LeBlanc (hermogene_at_online.fr)
Date: 08/23/03

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:19:08 -0400

Problem:

For those of you using the ATI Mobility M3/M4 on their laptop computers
(e.g. the Dell Latitude C800), Mandrake 9.1 may report an error when you
configure Display on install. In fact, the graphic card option that
Mandrake automatically points you to - an ATI Rage 128 - will result in a
failure of the graphical interface and a launch in terminal mode only. A
little frustrating for those who still know nothing about Unix commands!

Solution:

Launch the installation CD again, opt for "updating Mandrake" and - in the
install summary (graphic card configuration), click on VESA "in XFREE". It
should do it.

I realize this may sound basic of obvious for the wizards, but I must admit
it took me a few hours to find it out! ;)

Regards,

BHL