wireless card and freezing

From: Nathaniel Janewit (njanewit_at_stanford.edu)
Date: 08/23/03

Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 01:40:03 -0700

Hi all,

I run RedHat9 kernel 2.4.20-20.9 on a Dell Inspiron 8200. I have
configured a wireless 802.11b card, the Linksys WPC11 Network Card, as
eth1 retrieving IP information using dhcp. After about 7 hours of
normal use (this is consistent every time I try it), my computer will
freeze.

It will not respond to mouse or keyboard (not even Ctrl+Alt+Del or
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace), and the hard disk will whir for a long time and act
as if busy but does not do anything. The computer will respond to ping
(indicating perhaps the kernel or maybe my network card is still alive)
but will not respond to ssh. The output in/var/log/messages immediately
before the freeze is as follows:

Aug 22 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 63.207.122.60
port 67
Aug 22 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: DHCPACK from 63.207.122.60
Aug 22 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: bound to 63.207.122.105 -- renewal
in 3595 s econds.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Nate Janewit
P.O. Box 12424
Stanford, CA 94309
(740) 701-6285

Relevant Pages

  • network file transfer problem
    ... Intel EtherExpres 100 network card). ... large file the system will freeze (hardware reset the ... the only two computers connected in network are this FreeBSD and the ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Mozilla slow under 9.1.
    ... configuring the card with DHCP instead of using the DSL setup in YAST. ... my connection too.┬ ┬ Now┬ it┬ runs┬ great┬ on┬ his┬ XP┬ box,┬ but┬ its┬ complete ... settings seem to be slightly different between SUSE 9.0 which that fix was ... I tried deselecting "change host name via DHCP" in the network card ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Why would requesting a static IP from the router cause wireless flakiness?
    ... There's no DNS problem. ... If you allow the IP address to be assigned by DHCP, ... select Network Devices -> Network Card. ... Then click on the "Routeing" button and enter the default gateway ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Really weird hostname problem
    ... Okay, you've not installed on top of the old system, the network card is ... I'd say that if you uncheck the box labelled "Change host name via DHCP" ... to add a few static allocations based on MAC address. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: dhclient & booting
    ... "dmesg" seems to say that the interface eth0 is fine. ... the wireless interface works fine. ... from the same DHCP server without any problem. ... The most strange point is that sometimes the network card gets an IP ...
    (Debian-User)