No pwr mgmt Athlon Mandrake after recompile

From: Ravishankar Rao (rao_at_ece.arizona.edu)
Date: 08/26/03

    Date: 25 Aug 2003 21:43:13 -0700

    Hello
     I have a HP ze4145 laptop with a mobile Athlon XP 1800, running
    Mandrake 9.1. I've been wanting to use Linux as the only OS on my
    laptop - power management is the only issue though. I understand that
    the 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel that comes with Mandrake 9.1 already has
    ACPI enabled (patch and all). But, this wouldn't work for me (system
    hangs during boot time). So, I recompiled the kernel, and disabled
    APM. Now, ACPI is enabled, and the system boots, but the processor
    itself could not be throttled.

    This is my /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
    processor id: 0
    acpi id: 0
    bus mastering control: yes
    power management: no
    throttling control: no
    performance management: no
    limit interface: no

    The processor only supports the C1 state. I have also tried patching
    other versions of the Mandrake kernel, but without success. Can
    someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? If I use a regular kernel from
    kernel.org, would the regular Linux apps and drivers still work with
    Mandrake?

    My dmesg.out is at http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~rao/files/dmesg.out
    and my .config for the kernel is at
    http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~rao/files/config.

    Thanks
    -Ravi

    • Ruggedized Itronix laptop HOWTO
      ... I bought a cheap ruggedized laptop and got Slackware Linux working on it. ... You have to have some copy of a Linux system to install it. ... Linux kernel and ramdisk. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: RFC: i386: kill !4KSTACKS
      ... > support crappy hardware. ... it would have been easier if the kernel ... > would have chosen a laptop supported by Linux. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: HP Laptop & Slackware help
      ... > cutting long story short i had to lose the desktop and get a laptop ... > to get again to grips with linux and really knuckle down and learn it ... Mandrake 9.x installed fine when booting the ... upgrading to 2.6.x, ...
      (comp.os.linux.portable)
    • Re: Install on Compaq laptop
      ... > I have been trying to make my laptop into a dual boot XP home and mandrake. ... > PCMCIA cards' and says 'kernel panic cannot continue and just hangs there'. ... Presario 700 laptop... ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: [opensuse] Seriously thinking to switch to LinuxMint 15
      ... this kind of stuff is all managed by the Linux Kernel. ... Mint is compliant with the features I expect regarding power management ... when using laptop battery powered. ...
      (SuSE)