Re: HP ze4400 pavilion notebook

From: Stephen J. Fromm (stephen.fromm_at_verizon.net)
Date: 09/11/03

Date: 11 Sep 2003 07:34:07 -0700

Zane Vandiver <zvan@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<f5J7b.1005$E72.972@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>...
> Stephen,
> What are the specs on this machine? If it is similar to the Compaq 2170,

* Athlon XP-M 2200+
* ATI IGP 320M chipset (or something similar--this is from a poster to
a PC Mag review of a very similar machine, and for some reason HP
doesn't tell you what the chipset is)
* 512 MB DDR SDRAM
* 30 GB HDD
* 54g Wireless (includes 802.11b)
* 10/100 NIC

One thing I'm worried about is a Linux-minded friend claims that some
Wireless cards, made by BroadCom, don't work or don't work well w/
Linux due to maker not releasing specs.

> you should have no problems depending on the distro you use. SuSE 8.2 and
> the newest Mandrake seem to install almost flawlessly. RH 9.0 installs
> seem to have a lot of problems.

Huh. I thought Mandrake was RH made easier for novices...

> The two biggest problems are legacy USB and firewire. You should diable
> them in the bios before doing the install. If you want to dual boot with
> WinXP, you will need to use either the linux NTFS tools or Partition Magic
> to resize and format the hard drive. Linux can only read from NTFS at this
> time.
> www.linux-laptop.net and tuxmobil.org will have more resources you can
> check.

Thanks.

-S

> Zane
>
> Stephen J. Fromm wrote:
>
> > Anyone with any thoughts or experience why I should _not_ purchase an
> > HP pavilion ze4400 series notebook, if I'm planning on putting Linux
> > on it?
> >
> > sjfromm

Relevant Pages

  • Re: HP ze4400 pavilion notebook
    ... ATI IGP 320M chipset (or something similar--this is from a poster to ... Linux due to maker not releasing specs. ... > the newest Mandrake seem to install almost flawlessly. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Via KT600 support?
    ... I am having show-stopper difficulties getting Linux to run on my Asus ... A7V600 motherboard, which sports the Via KT600 chipset. ... I have never gotten any install to run to ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Installing a new mobo
    ... No, no, no, I'm not installing RAID or even a SATA drive anymore. ... I'm going to install that SATA drive on the new PC. ... For your Nvidia chipset board, RAID or AHCI mode require drivers installed ... For the plain IDE mode for SATA, no driver should be needed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • The New Linux Economy
    ... I have been having a bear of a time trying to acquire a Linux driver ... for my S3/ProSavage chipset -- but that quest is now almost at an end as I ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: Easiest way to sniff an USB devices internal chipset?
    ... I'm going to post here the details on the bloody ZC0310PLUS chipset (I ... the USB webcam-style camera is only labeled ... A quick look upon the Linux USB ID's database at ... reverse-engineer these cameras' chipset and get linux drivers working. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)