built kernel w/ACPI; now what?

From: Sandra Loosemore (sandra_at_frogsonice.com)
Date: 09/11/03

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:38:51 GMT

I just built and installed kernel 2.4.22 with ACPI support enabled on
my new Dell 300m. About the only thing I notice different from the
default Red Hat 9 kernel is that it now powers off by itself if I do
shutdown -h. The suspend button does not work, nor does closing the
lid do anything useful. Are there supposed to be other things I can
do with ACPI, like monitor the battery status? (I can do all that
stuff on my older laptops which use APM instead.) Forgive me if this
is a stupid question, and I have tried to RTFM, but it seems that all
the ACPI documentation I can find is low-level stuff about how to
install it rather than what you actually do with it once you've got it
installed.

-Sandra

Relevant Pages

  • Debian on a Macbook (Leopard): Xorg installation leads to blank screen on reboot
    ... minimal install of debian squeeze amd64 on the rest of the hard disk. ... So i presume it is a video driver ... Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset ... ACPI: Local APIC address 0xfee00000 ...
    (Debian-User)
  • redhat 3.4 on ibm 336
    ... You do not have enough RAM to install Red Hat Enterprise Linux on this machine ... ACPI: IRQ9 SCI: Edge set to Level Trigger. ... PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd75e, ... usbcore: registered new driver usbfs ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: IBM / FreeBSD Install problem
    ... With 2 or more processors installed, and ACPI enabled, it panics ... And with ACPI disabled, it boots, but doesnt find PCI busses 1 and 2, ... We are attempting to install FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE onto this ... We have attempted various modifications to the boot ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • RE: IBM / FreeBSD Install problem
    ... With 2 or more processors installed, and ACPI enabled, it panics ... And with ACPI disabled, it boots, but doesnt find PCI busses 1 and 2, ... We are attempting to install FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE onto this ... We have attempted various modifications to the boot ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: which 64 bit Linux distro for best OS/2 eCS compatibility?
    ... Is this applicable even to an ACPI driven system? ... configuration information that can be used as a goal for the eCS ACPI ... bootable JFS partitions with eCS RC2 and RC6a respectively, ... install a 64 bit Linux distro on additional JFS partitions and to boot it ...
    (comp.os.os2.misc)