Re: Lifebook 780Tx and dd

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:39:44 +0100, Norman Elliott
<nelliott@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, I have a Fuujitsu lifebook780Tx which has win98 on it at the
moment. I would like to put Linux on it as dual boot with windows. I
would also like to put a wireless card in it so I can connect it to my
main Pc.

This Pc triple boots Mandriva/Suse/Slackware. It has an ethernet card
in it and connects to the internet through an adsl modem/router.

I believe I should be able to put a wireless PCI card in it and thus
enable connection of the lifebook to the internet.

I also want to run remote X sessions from this Pc to the lifebook so
all it has to do is display X apps, so harnessing the power of my main
Pc which has 1Gig Ram and a Sempron 3000+ processor.

I bought the Lifebook cheap and it came without CD's. It just had win
98 on it. The Fujitsu website does provide drivers but these are for
win95.

I wish to do everything in stages.

Stage 1 back up the LB ( lifebook ) The LB has a 3.1Gig Hard disc
Control Panel reports it as a ST310211A. I have a usb 10Gig disc with
3 fat32 partitions on it. What I propose is to boot the LB with DSL
and use dd to copy the h/disc to the usb disc. Problem - I don't know
the correct parameters for dd to make sure I copy all of the disc. I
know it is dd if=?????( don't know of=???? (maybe /dev/hde1/lbimage)
I believe that this- with the correct syntax would give me a file
which I could use to restore the LB if everything fails.

Can anyone give me the syntax please?

If it is an IDE drive,
if=/dev/hda (or hdb, c, d depending where you connect the drive)
For a SCSI, USB or SATA drive change "hd" to "sd".
of= a regular file or a block device of equal or larger size
conv=sync,noerror (just in case the drive has bad sectors. If it does,
you are just in time to make a backup!)

--
You worry too much about your job. Stop it. You are not paid enough to worry.

  • Re: Is my hard disc faulty? (Boot failure, missing hal etc)
    ... > Next, if there'sa msg "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEMDISK AND PRESS ... The BIOS in the ATA card detects the disc I've ... > Try installing the OS fromanother CD. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cisco wireless card not setup correctly when booting core 2
    ... > driver can't find the card, or if there is a pcmcia card services driver problem. ... > The end result is that my wireless card is not detected and configured. ... configuration options turn off the start at boot option. ...
    (Fedora)
  • EVO N180 wont boot
    ... I have a Compaq EVO N180 that won't boot with a 3COM wireless card in ... the pcmcia slot. ... If I remove the card it will boot and then I can ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Boot problems
    ... I have one hard drive, a CD R/W drive, a wireless card and an ... AGP DVI card. ... boot, it will run reliably all day long with no problem. ... I recently had the exact same problem- turned out to be a bad video card. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Setting up wireless card
    ... I've just setup SuSE 9.0 on my laptop. ... wireless card that I want to use. ... YaST see the the card and I setup the ... boot status says "skipped" There is nothing wrong with the card and I ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)