Re: Fast-booting Linux

On Mar 28, 6:46 pm, Dances With Crows <danceswithcr...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
jamesgoode staggered into the Black Sun and said:

I've been using Debian and Ubuntu Linuxes for some years now, and they
all work well, with one exception; they all take forever to boot, and
with a laptop that I need to get out and use quickly quite often, this
isn't very suitable

Why are you rebooting your laptop? Suspend-to-RAM works well on a lot
of laptops, and resuming from suspend-to-RAM takes about 5 seconds. If
you don't know how to configure suspend-to-RAM, say something and post
the make and model# of your laptop. If you're paranoid about battery
life, suspend-to-disk is also available. Suspend-to-disk is generally
much more of a pain to set up, and it takes much longer to resume since
the kernel must read state from slow disk instead of fast RAM. But it's
available.

Could anybody recommend to me a distro which boots quickly?

Gentoo with baselayout2 will boot faster than anything, but your problem
is not boot speed. Your problem is rebooting when it's not necessary.
You should also use update-rc.d to turn off all the services you don't
need, particularly "hardware detection" and any MTA that isn't ssmtp.
(Most people do not need or want to run an MTA on a laptop.) Same deal
with apache, since apache takes 2-3 seconds to start, and you only need
a webserver on a laptop if you're doing web development on that laptop.

I don't mind if it doesn't have a package manager

? If a distro doesn't have a package manager, it's going to be insanely
difficult to maintain.

--
There is not enough coffee in the world.
--TimC in ASR

Hi,

Thanks for your help - I'm using a Compaq Evo N410c, which I've heard
is a real pain when it comes to power management. I've tried to
suspend to ram and hibernate through the 'Quit' option in the menu,
however, the suspend option just locks the computer, and the hibernate
option won't let me use USB or PS/2 after restoring. I'm not sure if
this is what you mean by suspend-to-ram and suspend-to-disk, or if you
mean something like Tux-On-Ice? I'll look into it further.

Thanks for your help,

--James.
.