Re: Fast-booting Linux

On Mar 28, 6:46 pm, Dances With Crows <danceswithcr...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
jamesgoode staggered into the Black Sun and said:

I've been using Debian and Ubuntu Linuxes for some years now, and they
all work well, with one exception; they all take forever to boot, and
with a laptop that I need to get out and use quickly quite often, this
isn't very suitable

Why are you rebooting your laptop? Suspend-to-RAM works well on a lot
of laptops, and resuming from suspend-to-RAM takes about 5 seconds. If
you don't know how to configure suspend-to-RAM, say something and post
the make and model# of your laptop. If you're paranoid about battery
life, suspend-to-disk is also available. Suspend-to-disk is generally
much more of a pain to set up, and it takes much longer to resume since
the kernel must read state from slow disk instead of fast RAM. But it's
available.

Could anybody recommend to me a distro which boots quickly?

Gentoo with baselayout2 will boot faster than anything, but your problem
is not boot speed. Your problem is rebooting when it's not necessary.
You should also use update-rc.d to turn off all the services you don't
need, particularly "hardware detection" and any MTA that isn't ssmtp.
(Most people do not need or want to run an MTA on a laptop.) Same deal
with apache, since apache takes 2-3 seconds to start, and you only need
a webserver on a laptop if you're doing web development on that laptop.

I don't mind if it doesn't have a package manager

? If a distro doesn't have a package manager, it's going to be insanely
difficult to maintain.

--
There is not enough coffee in the world.
--TimC in ASR

Hi,

Thanks for your help - I'm using a Compaq Evo N410c, which I've heard
is a real pain when it comes to power management. I've tried to
suspend to ram and hibernate through the 'Quit' option in the menu,
however, the suspend option just locks the computer, and the hibernate
option won't let me use USB or PS/2 after restoring. I'm not sure if
this is what you mean by suspend-to-ram and suspend-to-disk, or if you
mean something like Tux-On-Ice? I'll look into it further.

Thanks for your help,

--James.

  • RE: mlock(1)
    ... laptop against, what is their level of commitment, and what on the laptop are you ... The thingwe are trying to protect in the swap space are the ram images of the ... cryptoswap key at every boot and then throw it away. ... Any "restore" methodology can be attacked by definition because the attacker can ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Sleep mode vs shutdown
    ... Would my PC depreciate faster if I keep it in sleep mode or its better ... if I just have to boot it up daily? ... I have to shut down my laptop if I ... hibernate is that applications can wake it up. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Fast-booting Linux
    ... and with a laptop that I need to get out and use quickly ... If you don't know how to configure suspend-to-RAM, ... Gentoo with baselayout2 will boot faster than anything, ... doing S2disk involved the kernel freezing all ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Re: Windows will not boot under any circumstances!
    ... want to see if your laptop will boot. ... Recovery Process from the Partition get before it fails? ... Then try to see if it will boot. ... you mentioned that i could use AVG to make a bootable CD/DVD thingy... ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Windows XP crash
    ... much rather just copying the Document and Setting folder to the USB ... Second, if I get one of these boot CDs, and can get to the DOS ... a Windows password on the machine but no boot password. ... I hurriedly turned off my laptop manually because I ...