Re: Linux on old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS

level13 wrote on 08/13/2005 08:32 ET :
I'm considering installing Linux on my old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS
laptop. I wasn't able to find its page on http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Has anyone successfully installed Linux on this laptop? If so, which
distribution do you recommend? It's a Pentium 233 MMX, with 96 MB RAM.
The not-for-Linux device (at least I suspect it) might be Xircom 100/10
PCMCIA modem+ethernet card.
Currently it's running Windows 98 with all patches & updates, and last
time it was running at a "decent speed" it was before any Win98
patches
were applied.
Anything else I should be careful about?

I tryed all the mini Linux I could find. Only Slax live worked, but could not
install. The best was DSL Damn Small Linus. It installed after a few tries. I
was able to get on the internet useing a wireles PCMCIA card. Yes you can
install a 128MB memory added to your 64mb internal giving you 160MB. The 128mb
card does not fit in flat and you need to use the keyboard to hold it down. It
is a very expensive memory card. I also install a 60gig 7200 speed drive.
Also
expensive. I was able to install Windows XP Pro, but it was very choppy. So I
installed Windows 2000. A little bit better. Next I will try ME. Which is
really
an upgrade of 98 SE.

  • Wired and wireless PCMCIA LAN cards: configuration problems
    ... I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 P2 laptop first with Sarge and now with Etgh ... Right after booting the laptop with that PC card installed, ... the Network Settings in the KDE Control Centre as root. ... After some experimentation I found that I had to install the D-Link card ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: wireless network card for Toshiba Satellite
    ... This laptop spends quite a lot of time with it's owner in airports and hotels. ... I want to get a card that's suitable for use in airports and hotels and also suitable to connect to our Conexant Mentor wireless router/modem when she's at home. ... I've recently been trying to help someone who had bought a Linksys 802/11g card for their W98 laptop, and by accident we found that after installing the Linksys software the machine was running in an endless hidden internal loop trying to start a third party security application that was not compatible with W98. ... Linksys eventually confirmed that it was not possible to install the software from the supplied CD without installing the app, and said we should try downloading the files from their site to try to install them instead. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: [opensuse] Laptop with NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology
    ... What hidden reefs am I going to strike if I buy a laptop, ... 'NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology'? ... Will I be able to install oS on such a beast and get at least some fuzzy ... able to use at least one card with no big problems and performance looses"? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: BSOD IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
    ... What exactly is your Windows XP system CD? ... sound card, ATI Radeon 9600 Video Card, Diamond Xtreme Video Capture ... I did successfully connect the main drive to my laptop and have been ... could install the drive from the problem computer as a slave / ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Problem installing notebook wireless card........help!
    ... I can usually figure stuff out..*but* trying to install a Wireless G ... notebook card on my laptop is giving me the fits. ... I buy a Belkin Wireless G Plus notebook card. ... Finally, to trouble shoot, I brought home my laptop from the ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)