Re: Linux on old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS

On 2010-05-27, John B slocomb wrote:

On Thu, 27 May 2010 02:20:02 -0500, lloyd <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

level13 wrote on 08/13/2005 08:32 ET :
I'm considering installing Linux on my old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS
laptop. I wasn't able to find its page on http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Has anyone successfully installed Linux on this laptop? If so, which
distribution do you recommend? It's a Pentium 233 MMX, with 96 MB RAM.
The not-for-Linux device (at least I suspect it) might be Xircom 100/10
PCMCIA modem+ethernet card.

I don't think anyone will recommend Windows ME, but I'm surprised that
you cannot install Linux. My net book is an Eee and I have installed
two different versions of Ubuntu and Fedora 12 on it (no, not at the
same time:-) with no problems. However I don't know how Linux handles
a pcmcia card.

Depends on the card. I have straight Debian testing on this Toshiba
Portege 3110CT with P300 128MB Ram. Both 3com pcmcia ethernet and
Linksys pcmcia wireless cards are supported natively in the Linux
kernel (2.6.32). There is an ethernet port in the docking station,
but it (Intel e100) requires firmware.

Certainly if Windows XP runs Linux should.

I also run both XP and Linux from separate 16 G memory cards so even
with a 60 G disk you should have no problems to dual boot the two
systems.

Regards,

Howard E.

  • Re: SD card as HDD
    ... How SD cards cooperate with linux machines? ... You really should not install Linux to an SD card or USB ... that distro can't be easily loaded into netbook like EEE ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Trying to change my OS from Windows to Linux/Mac
    ... I've never succeeded to make my laptops work perfectly on Linux. ... or Sound card is not working. ... I suggest you look into this for your laptop. ... FreeBSD: the Complete FreeBSD ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • fedora-list-request@redhat.com
    ... Anybody have any experience with RAID controllers under ... >> is not found on that server. ... > If nVidia were to do something silly I could swap the card in a matter ... > the usb drives and then reboot to linux to get them working properly. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Linux Wifi laptop guidance requested.
    ... >> hands and I was wondering what the 'most' compatable 802.11g card is ... Wireless in Linux is a work in progress. ... Really, just google for Linux, wireless, and your laptop. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Before I give up....
    ... I have an AGP FX5200 video card. ... Examine the motherboard for leaking capacitors. ... I use Knoppix (a Linux ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)