Re: Switching from KDE to GNOME

From: Michel Klijmij (michel+spam_at_klijmij.net)
Date: 06/17/04

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:29:00 +0200

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:22:29 -0700, Steve Hix
<sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote in
<sehix-758B77.18222916062004@dsl081-079-101.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net>:

> In article <pan.2004.06.16.10.02.38.148265@imac.klijmij.net>,
> Michel Klijmij <michel+spam@klijmij.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:50:51 -0700, Steve Hix
>> <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote in
>> <sehix-AD9B52.18505115062004@dsl081-079-101.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net>:
>>
>> > How do I switch from KDE to GNOME?
>>
>> Select "gnome" in the login screen.
>
> Not there.
>
>> If it isn't there, it might not be installed
>
> It is, at least there are umpteen screens of *gnome* files and
> directories scattered about the drive.

But there's the gnome libraries so you can run Gnome apps in whatever
windowmanager/desktop environment.

>> (though I doubt that - I thought gnome was the YDL default?).
>
> From what I've seen of this version, KDE is the default.
>
>> so you'll have to find the gnome*.rpm on the installation CD or apt/yum them.
>
> Or changing a line or two in some mildly-obscure startup file?

Depends a bit on your login manager. I have KDM, from KDE, and in the
"Sessions" tab it has "GNOME" as an option. That should work, and
otherwise maybe a file called '.desktop' in your $HOME containing
"DESKTOP=GNOME".

--
Vriendelijke groet,        | "Planologische problemen los je niet op
                           |  door overal bommen op te gooien."
Michel Klijmij             |
http://michel.klijmij.net/ |                     -- David Brent, The Office