Re: Switching from KDE to GNOME

From: Michel Klijmij (michel+spam_at_klijmij.net)
Date: 06/17/04

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:29:00 +0200

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:22:29 -0700, Steve Hix
<sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote in
<sehix-758B77.18222916062004@dsl081-079-101.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net>:

> In article <pan.2004.06.16.10.02.38.148265@imac.klijmij.net>,
> Michel Klijmij <michel+spam@klijmij.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:50:51 -0700, Steve Hix
>> <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote in
>> <sehix-AD9B52.18505115062004@dsl081-079-101.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net>:
>>
>> > How do I switch from KDE to GNOME?
>>
>> Select "gnome" in the login screen.
>
> Not there.
>
>> If it isn't there, it might not be installed
>
> It is, at least there are umpteen screens of *gnome* files and
> directories scattered about the drive.

But there's the gnome libraries so you can run Gnome apps in whatever
windowmanager/desktop environment.

>> (though I doubt that - I thought gnome was the YDL default?).
>
> From what I've seen of this version, KDE is the default.
>
>> so you'll have to find the gnome*.rpm on the installation CD or apt/yum them.
>
> Or changing a line or two in some mildly-obscure startup file?

Depends a bit on your login manager. I have KDM, from KDE, and in the
"Sessions" tab it has "GNOME" as an option. That should work, and
otherwise maybe a file called '.desktop' in your $HOME containing
"DESKTOP=GNOME".

--
Vriendelijke groet,        | "Planologische problemen los je niet op
                           |  door overal bommen op te gooien."
Michel Klijmij             |
http://michel.klijmij.net/ |                     -- David Brent, The Office

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Switching from KDE to GNOME
    ... >> How do I switch from KDE to GNOME? ... at least there are umpteen screens of *gnome* files and ... Or changing a line or two in some mildly-obscure startup file? ...
    (comp.os.linux.powerpc)
  • Re: From KDE to GNOME. Experiences, suggestions and comments
    ... So this is not a case of being fed up with KDE. ... I just decided to try out GNOME for a change. ... To the app, it makes no ... There is a menu called "Tabs", but it does not contain "New ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: OT: Ist Windows schoen und idiotensicher?
    ... sowohl Gnome, als auch KDE, als auch fvwm, als auch xfce usw. ... ein nacktes X11 Fenster hat keinen Rahmen und man kann es auch nicht ... ohne komplett auf Lunix umsteigen zu müssen... ...
    (de.etc.fahrzeug.auto)
  • Re: From KDE to GNOME. Experiences, suggestions and comments
    ... for ~4 years now and KDE for ~1 year. ... I've also tried PekWM, Gnome, IceWM, XFce, WindowMaker, Ion2 and some ... To the app, it makes no ... There is a menu called "Tabs", but it does not contain "New ...
    (GNOME)
  • [SLE] Hu?
    ... With the layoff announcementand the recent FUD article by a KDE developer ... Novell was dropping KDE in favour of GNOME. ... I asked my dad for clarification on why he thought GNOME was more professional ... developers without any technical merit, but purely based on emotional outcry. ...
    (SuSE)