Re: gentoo or yellowdog

From: Michel Klijmij (michel+spam_at_klijmij.net)
Date: 06/21/04

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:49:33 +0200

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:53:00 -0400, Duke Robillard <duke@NOSPAMio.com> wrote in <CdSdnWfEYNBzvUrd4p2dnA@io.com>:

> Craig Stein wrote:
>> anyone have pros and cons for both OSes.
>>
>> Looking to put this on a Power Mac 9600
>
> Yellow Dog is a RedHat clone...that means there's a lot of work
> put into making it "friendly" (i.e. usable by non-techno geeks).
> The normal trade off in that situation applies: it may be easy
> to do simple things, but it's really, really hard to do complicated
> things, or buck the system.

I disagree. The fact that some effort is put into it to make it
"friendly" doesn't mean it's hard to do complicated stuff. It's still
linux. No-one is stopping you to compile your own stuff, manually edit
files, etc...But you don't *have* to.

> Gentoo is the exact opposite; it's normally compiled from source
> by the user. I can't imagine two more opposed philosophies for
> distros.

That I agree with :-)

YDL is a bit easier to use, gentoo a bit more difficult and perhaps
time-consuming with all the compiling from source - though after that
you're supposed to have an optimized system that should work better. Don't
know myself, because I've never used gentoo.

--
Kind regards,
Michel Klijmij