Re: gentoo or yellowdog

From: Michel Klijmij (michel+spam_at_klijmij.net)
Date: 06/21/04

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:49:33 +0200

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:53:00 -0400, Duke Robillard <duke@NOSPAMio.com> wrote in <CdSdnWfEYNBzvUrd4p2dnA@io.com>:

> Craig Stein wrote:
>> anyone have pros and cons for both OSes.
>>
>> Looking to put this on a Power Mac 9600
>
> Yellow Dog is a RedHat clone...that means there's a lot of work
> put into making it "friendly" (i.e. usable by non-techno geeks).
> The normal trade off in that situation applies: it may be easy
> to do simple things, but it's really, really hard to do complicated
> things, or buck the system.

I disagree. The fact that some effort is put into it to make it
"friendly" doesn't mean it's hard to do complicated stuff. It's still
linux. No-one is stopping you to compile your own stuff, manually edit
files, etc...But you don't *have* to.

> Gentoo is the exact opposite; it's normally compiled from source
> by the user. I can't imagine two more opposed philosophies for
> distros.

That I agree with :-)

YDL is a bit easier to use, gentoo a bit more difficult and perhaps
time-consuming with all the compiling from source - though after that
you're supposed to have an optimized system that should work better. Don't
know myself, because I've never used gentoo.

--
Kind regards,
Michel Klijmij

Relevant Pages

  • Re: What is Macromedia Flash Player
    ... > Okey, I have been using RedHat before I changed over to Gentoo, I never ... it doesn't compile, missing kflash.moc. ... GENTOO right now. ... > installation of the system, on a RedHat install, it takes you max 30 min ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Suggestions Invited
    ... I was once a Gentoo fan for its emerge and quick releases, ... Debian is all about being easy to get up and keep up. ... > having to compile every little obscure library for a point update. ... > about dependencies making an upgrade of gnome or kde nearly impossible. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Gentooised Ubuntu
    ... experiences with Gentoo are limited. ... You need enough of a system in place that can compile the rest. ... compiled at the beginning since you didn't have any operating system ... Any distribution goes through this, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: PATCH [0/3]: Simplify the kernel build by removing perl.
    ... I was always able to compile ... The gentoo panel last OLS. ... These are the packages that would be merged, ... All ebuilds that could satisfy "openoffice" have been masked. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: USE flags ??
    ... > dont get me wrong i use to be die hard debian because of apt-get but i ... > compared the two on two separate mail servers, ... > almost a week watching it compile. ... Typical gentoo idiot. ...
    (Debian-User)