Re: CD images, ISO

From: Keith Krehbiel (redsilo_at_pldi.net)
Date: 11/05/04

    Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:39:40 -0600

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:55:01 -0600,
    > Keith Krehbiel <redsilo@pldi.net>, in
    > <10oe4p5k802it79@corp.supernews.com> wrote:
    >

    >>+ From the file I really have no place to paste. As things currently are
    >>+ I am communicating from another computer running MacOS 9.1. One of the
    >>+ several problems I am having is accessing disks/files/devices, etc. from
    >>+ linux.
    >

    > Then the first thing you need to look at is the output of 'fdisk
    > -l'. It's been a *very*long*time* since I've looked at MacOS9.x, but I
    > think the odds are that you have an HFS filesystem. fdisk will give up
    > the pertinent information about the current partitions, and tell us
    > what it thinks your disk state is. So far as I know, if you have
    > HFS+, you're hosed.
    >
    > If not, then it should be a matter of figuring out which device is the
    > correct partion for MacOS (more than a few kilobytes in size). Then:
    >
    > mount -t hfs /dev/hfsfilesystem /somemounpoint
    >
    > where "hfsfilesystem" is like "hda6" or "sda5", and "/somemountpoint"
    > is an arbritary empty directory. There may be a /mnt directory already
    > available. If not, make one. "mkdir /somemountpoint" for instance.
    >

    >>+ Not sure if I can make text go to MacOS, maybe that would work.
    >

    > Fortunately, text is text, even if it looks a little odd due to the
    > niceties of the end-of-record delimiter.
    >
    > James

    Yes, text is indeed text. One of the problems that is particularly
    vexing for me is an inability to access files of any kind especially if
    they are located on a medium other than the boot partition. This is why
    I have not been able to post the error output, etc. I am online with a
    different computer than has the linux installation and have found NO WAY
    to transfer files of any kind, including text. I am absolutely sure
    that some or most of the problem is my ignorance but some of it may be
    quirks in Linux.

    I did try mount. mount -a /dev/cdrom0 returns the error that the device
    is not found in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab. mount -a /dev/hda6 returns the
    same error and I am running linux from that partition. I will try the
    other suggestions asap.

    I know it must sound like I'm surly but it is from frustration, not
    anger at anyone trying to help.

    I am beginning to think that maybe what I need is a book to learn some
    of this from. From what I have done so far it seems that there is some
    variability in nomenclature of devices, etc. For instance, /dev/cdrom
    would seem to be the cdrom drive but during bootup the term /sdr gets
    used. I have used both terms to try to access the cdrom drive with
    equal lack of success.
    Anyway, thanks for all your help
    Keith

    • Re: ot: Tech help required
      ... Can you try the compact flash card in another reader, or better still, in a laptop with an integrated CF reader? ... OK if you've never used Linux then System Rescue CD and Rip might not be the answer just yet. ... If not you will have to open a Terminal and mount them read-write as follows: ... depending on what your system partition is. ...
      (uk.sport.football.clubs.liverpool)
    • Re: "mount /dev/sde1" is old vfat whole disk unless "-t ext2"
      ... Of course, "-t ext2" will guarantee no other partition type gets used, ... Mount the whole disk drive, ... I set with fdisk. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Linux Partition Table Tutorials
      ... The partition table is contained in bytes 446-509 of the first sector on ... but Linux PT info was not covered. ... utilities to write zeros didn't work. ... MS's Orig win98FE FDISK version *does* have issues seeing Drives larger ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: understanding partitioning
      ... and Linux tends to use ext3 or ext4. ... filesystem in one partition, and Ubuntu on an ext filesystem in another. ... Linux lets you 'mount' any drive at any directory. ... you are saying /dev isn't reserved for disk drives ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: [opensuse] Drives... how to work them .. Very basic NOOB question
      ... One is a 20 GB "system" partition also referred to as the ... at least not till you understand more about linux. ... Remember this phrase: Mount Something Somewhere. ... MySQL data files under another directory as my swap partition wont be ...
      (SuSE)